Adler gets nod for Germany ahead of World Cup qualifiersSeptember 22nd, 2009 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Sep 22 (DPA) Bayer Leverkuisen’s Rene Adler will be in goal form for Germany’s key World Cup qualifiers next month.
Coach Joachim Loew told Tuesday’s Bild newspaper Adler was his first choice in the absence of Hanover’s Robert Enke, who will not be considered while he recovers from an infection.
Adler came in for Enke for Germany’s last World Cup qualifier against Azerbaijan September 9, and also played a friendly against South Africa a few days earlier.
“Rene played well in the last two internationals. I have complete faith in him,” Loew was quoted by Bild as saying.
Loew had already named Enke as his number one for the qualifiers against Russia in Moscow October 10 and Finland in Hamburg four days later.
But Monday he decided against selecting the 32-year-old keeper, who is recovering from a bacterial infection and is only likely to be back in action shortly before the Group 4 matches.
Loew confirmed he would call up three keepers for the two qualifiers - Adler, Schalke’s Manuel Neuer and Werder Bremen’s Tim Wiese.
- Adler withdraws from Germany squad over eye infection - Nov 07, 2009
- Adler stays in goal for Germany - Sep 08, 2009
- Lahm to skipper Germany at World Cup; Neuer is keeper - May 28, 2010
- Loew calls up Hunt and Mueller for friendlies - Nov 06, 2009
- A young German team is one of the favourites (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- Enke to miss Germany's World Cup qualifiers - Sep 21, 2009
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
- Germany keeper Enke out of World Cup qualifier - Oct 09, 2008
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- Enke gets nod in goal for Germany's World Cup campaign - Aug 28, 2008
- Germany goalkeeper Robert Enke commits suicide - Nov 11, 2009
- Schweinsteiger to miss Germany's World Cup qualifiers - Aug 31, 2012
- Late goal prevents Leverkusen opening a gap at the top - Feb 22, 2010
- Bierhoff: Loew to remain silent on Kuranyi - Apr 10, 2010
Tags: bacterial infection, bayer, bild newspaper, dpa, first choice, hanover, internationals, joachim loew, key world, manuel neuer, moscow, nod, rene adler, robert enke, schalke, september 9, tim wiese, werder bremen, world cup qualifier, world cup qualifiers