Adelaide Test: Kohli hunts for ton but Australia in control (Second Lead)January 26th, 2012 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Adelaide, Jan 26 (IANS) Young middle-order batsmen Virat Kohli stayed in the hunt for becoming the first Indian batsman to get a century in the series but Australia were in firm control of the fourth and final Test at tea on the third day at the Adelaide Oval here Thursday.
Kohli was batting on 91 while Wriddhiman Saha (35) fell at the stroke of tea as India reached 225 for six in the first innings, in reply to Australia’s 604 for seven declared. India need another 179 runs to avoid follow-on and trail Australia by 379 runs.
The duo added 114 runs for the sixth wicket as India were reduced to 111 for five after the first session’s play. Saha’s gritty knock ended after he tried to leave a Ryan Harris delivery but made a wrong decision as the ball knocked off his stumps.
Earlier in the day, Peter Siddle struck twice to remove Sachin Tendulkar (25) and Gautam Gambhir (34) while spinner Nathan Lyon picked up V.V.S.Laxman (18).
Resuming at overnight score of 61/2, Indian batsmen struggled to get their act right on a perfect batting track and could score just 61 runs losing three wickets during the first session of the day.
More than 27,000 spectators turned up at the Adelaide Oval on the occasion of Australia Day, which coincided with India’s Republic Day, hoping to see Tendulkar get his 100th international century in the city of Don Bradman.
But Tendulkar edged a low catch to Ricky Ponting at second slip to make it 78/3 and Gambhir fell in Siddle’s next over when the batsman popped a short ball to Mike Hussey at gully.
Laxman’s poor run in the series continued when he was caught behind, edging a cut shot from Lyon as keeper Brad Haddin pouched a neat catch.
- India struggling to save follow-on in Adelaide Test (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Australia in command despite Kohli's maiden Test hundred (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Three, Fourth Test - Jan 26, 2012
- Tea scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Three, Fourth Test - Jan 26, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Three, Fourth Test - Jan 26, 2012
- Australia bat in fourth Test - Jan 24, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Two, Fourth Test - Jan 25, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Four, Fourth Test - Jan 27, 2012
- Indian batsmen warm up in style, Tendulkar top scores with 92 - Dec 16, 2011
- Tea Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Fourth Test, Day Two - Jan 25, 2012
- India's batting woes continue in Perth (Tea Report) - Jan 13, 2012
- Final scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Fourth Test - Jan 28, 2012
- Australia four wickets away from 4-0 whitewash of India (Roundup) - Jan 27, 2012
- Indian bowlers strike hard after batsmen fail (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2011
- India loses Adelaide Test -- another 0-4 whitewash (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: adelaide oval, australia day, don bradman, final test, gautam gambhir, gully, indian batsman, indian batsmen, mike hussey, ponting, republic day, ryan harris, siddle, stumps, tendulkar, third day, v v s laxman, wicket, wickets, wrong decision