Adelaide joins the race to host 2015 World Cup finalFebruary 3rd, 2012 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Adelaide, Feb 3 (IANS) Adelaide has joined Sydney and Melbourne in the race to host the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup final.
CA chief executive James Sutherland said the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) and the ANZ Stadium in Sydney’s Olympic Park do not have a mortgage on the final and a redeveloped 50,000-seater Adelaide Oval will be considered to host the 2015 World Cup final.
“The Adelaide Oval is going to be a very big ground by the time the World Cup comes around. It’s going to hold well over 50,000,” Sutherland was quoted as saying by News Limited newspapers.
Former South Australian Cricket Association boss John Harnden, who is the chief execcutive officer of 2015 World Cup, secured the go-ahead for the Adelaide Oval’s upgrade.
Adelaide’s chances were also boosted after ANZ Stadium’s facilities were criticised by India before the first Twenty20 clash in Sydney.
“We will have the best ground in Australia,” SACA boss Keith Bradshaw said. “We would love to host the World Cup final… and I would assume there would be a balanced scorecard which would look at a number of different criteria, not just the number of tickets sold.”
- ANZ Stadium, MCG in running for 2015 World Cup final venue - Jan 30, 2012
- Wet pitches hamper Indians' practice session - Jan 30, 2012
- Ground to be named after Shane Warne - Nov 12, 2010
- Stadium revamp a salve to Australia's bruised World Cup hopes - Dec 10, 2009
- Australian capital to host maiden ODI - Jun 08, 2012
- Australia tours West Indies from March 16 - Nov 12, 2011
- Victoria batting for 2015 World Cup final at MCG - Feb 22, 2012
- Australia-England Twenty20 match in Melbourne to go ahead - Jan 14, 2011
- India win second T20 by eight wickets - Feb 03, 2012
- Sydney's ANZ Stadium to host International Twenty20 matches from 2011-12 season - Mar 31, 2010
- Cricket Australia chief backs radical changes to 50-over World Cup format - Oct 24, 2010
- Cricket NSW explores the option of moving games to other stadia - Nov 12, 2009
- Bradhaw frontrunner for CA team performance chief's post - Sep 11, 2011
- World Cup venues will ready in time: Shetty - Jan 25, 2011
- Cricket Australia backs minnow nations' ban from World Cup - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: adelaide oval, anz stadium, australian cricket association, balanced scorecard, boss, bradshaw, chief executive, clash, cricket world cup, harnden, icc cricket world, icc cricket world cup, james sutherland, mcg, melbourne cricket ground, newspapers, olympic park, saca, south australian cricket association, sydney