AC Milan plans to permanently secure BeckhamJanuary 29th, 2009 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Jan 29 (DPA) AC Milan have confirmed they are interested in turning David Beckham’s brief loan contract from Los Angeles Galaxy to full ownership.Milan vice president Adriano Galliani made the annoucement Wednesday, saying that “If Beckham will decide to free himself from the contract (with Galaxy, which expires in 2011) our doors are open. But he belongs to another club and we must thank them because they were very kind to us.”
Beckham, 33, joined Milan in late December, as the US Major League Soccer took its break, in order to keep fit for a possible call to join England’s national team, which coach Fabio Capello said he would consider only if the midfielder played consistently.
Milan surprisingly fielded Beckham regularly since the Italian Serie A resumed on January 11 and he was quite convincing in the three games played, also scoring a goal at the weekend.
“On March 9 we’ll end the (loan) contract,” Galliani said. “We can’t be unfair and we won’t. The footballer wants to stay with us, but he knows that he must return to America. In the next days, however, we’ll meet his managers.”
Interviewed Wednesday by the Italian daily Corriere della Sera, Beckham said that “playing (at Milan) was every player’s dream. But deciding (about the future) isn’t easy. It’s a matter that takes time.
“I’m under contract and have a lot of respect toward Galaxy. But the chance to play with Milan is something special. I knew I was going to enjoy it, but not so much. However, as character is concerned, I’m a very respectful person.”
Beckham, who said a few Italian sentences during the interview, said he was surprised at how fast he had fit into the schemes of the seven-time European champions.
“I must say that everyone lent a hand to put me at ease,” he said. “I had a very warm welcome.”
Talking about American football, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid player said that, coming from Europe, it was at times frustrating to play in certain games.
In Italy, he said he understood that “to play here you must be very good technically and in teams like Milan this is even truer.
“I knew already that your league was tactically very strong. (Fabio) Capello taught me many things when he coached me at Real Madrid. From him I learnt organisation and discipline. Now Capello is exporting all this into the English national team.”
Capello, meanwhile, is expected to be at the Giuseppe Meazza Wednesday evening as the Devils tackle guests Genoa in a mid-week round of the Serie A.
“Milan asked for my opinion and I recommended them to take him, not only because David is a very good player, but also a serious professional,” Capello said.
“It seems to me that he is fitting well in the group. He even scored in Bologna. Beckham is part of the English national team. He is among those I count on for the 2010 World Cup.”
- Milan want Kaka back on loan - Aug 27, 2012
- Beckham arrives for new season in Milan - Dec 29, 2009
- Ex-England coach Capello spotted at Moscow airport - Jul 12, 2012
- Beckham back at AC Milan in January - Nov 03, 2009
- Russia's foreign quota complicates my task: Capello - Jul 18, 2012
- Capello 'confident' of Russia's 2014 chances - Jul 18, 2012
- Victoria Beckham's baby bump is now visible - Apr 14, 2011
- Beckham's European loan move in jeopardy over TV deal - Dec 26, 2010
- Mostovoi ready to assist Capello - Jul 18, 2012
- Spalletti backs Capello for Russia - Jul 15, 2012
- Curtains almost down on Beckham's international career - Oct 15, 2010
- Kaka on Galaxy radar to replace Beckham - Aug 18, 2012
- 'Capello is a tough coach' - Jul 08, 2012
- Beckham hopes to make sensational comeback to England team - Dec 21, 2010
- Capello does a U-turn on Beckham's international career - Aug 29, 2010
Tags: ac milan, adriano galliani, american football, annoucement, coach fabio capello, corriere della sera, david beckham, european champions, footballer, italian sentences, italian serie, jan 29, loan contract, los angeles galaxy, major league soccer, manchester united, midfielder, real madrid player, three games, warm welcome