Absolutely impossible job to succeed Ferguson: O’NeillFebruary 28th, 2010 - 5:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 28(ANI): Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill has dismissed rumours of him replacing Sir Alex Ferguson as the next Manchester United manager, saying that its an impossible job.
O’Neill and Ferguson will come face to face during the Carling Cup final, where Aston Villa will meet Manchester in the first major trophy of the season.
The 57-year-old and David Moyes are currently the two British managers in the betting to be the next Manchester United manager, behind favourite Jose Mourinho.
“I’ve never thought about that at all, not for one second, not even way back when I was at Celtic. I think Sir Alex will decide, and I would think in about the year 2033 when he thinks to himself, ‘Yeah, I think that Champions League has just gone past me for the final time’, then I will have departed this earth long before him - because I’ve got a lot more worries!” The Mirror quoted O’Neill, as saying.
“It’s never really bothered me. And of course there’s always somebody coming up, somebody whose name is relevant at the time. My job here, which I really enjoy, is trying for us to win a couple of competitions in the next couple of seasons. That is what it’s all about.”
“And for anybody it would be absolutely an impossible job to succeed him. What can you do? Win the Premier League 10 times? You’d still be just starting out against him. I know Brian Clough went to Leeds and said he could win it better, but he only lasted 44 days. And to be honest it wasn’t his most inspiring moment,” he added. (ANI)
- Moyes rejects claims of succeeding Ferguson at Man U - Apr 23, 2010
- Maradona eyes Aston Villa top job - Aug 16, 2010
- Aston Villa star Milner eager to join Manchester City - Jul 23, 2010
- Ferguson's whopping 100,000 pound-a-week offer for Young - Apr 01, 2011
- Premier League managers don't like signing Englishmen - Jul 27, 2010
- Rooney give me 10 goals and Berbatov 30, demands Ferguson - Feb 02, 2011
- Aston Villa rejects Man City's 25-mn pound bid for Milner - May 20, 2010
- Man U striker Hernandez sidelined with ankle injury - Dec 04, 2011
- Aston Villa's O'Neill favourite to replace Benitez - Nov 08, 2009
- Ferguson wants Moyes to succeed him at Man U - Apr 21, 2010
- City will be a thorn in our flesh: Ferguson - Jul 19, 2011
- Fergie thinks four-horse race for Premier League title would be "fantastic" - Dec 19, 2009
- Fergie thinks four-horse race at Premier League would be fantastic - Dec 19, 2009
- Aston's Pires wants revenge against Man U's Neville - Feb 01, 2011
- Aston Villa will smash Big Four's Premier League dominance: Bruce - Dec 15, 2009
Tags: alex ferguson, aston villa, brian clough, british managers, carling cup, celtic, champions league, competitions, david moyes, earth, impossible job, leeds, london feb, manchester united, martin o neill, mirror, premier league, sir alex ferguson, trophy