Abhinav Bindra returns to a rousing welcomeAugust 14th, 2008 - 3:47 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 14 (IANS)A band played and people cheered as shooter Abhinav Bindra, who won India its first ever individual Olympic gold, returned to the country to a hero’s welcome here early Thursday. A large number of sports buffs and officials of Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) were present at the Indira Gandhi International Airport to have a glimpse of Bindra, who clinched top honours in 10 m air rifle event at the Beijing Olympics Monday.
“Its a great honour for me. Its a huge honour. I am really proud of it,” Bindra told the waiting media at the airport after arriving around 1 a.m. by an Air China flight from Beijing.
Policemen were deployed at the airport in strength to prevent any untoward scenes and the shooter was led out through the departure gate and whisked away in a small motorcade of three cars.
The country’s latest sports icon was received by his father A.S. Bindra, his mother Babli, and relatives and friends, as some in the crowd raised slogans eulogising the shooter.
“Jab tak chand aur suraj rahega, Bindra tera naam desh yaad rakhega (so long the sun and the moon are there, the nation will remember you, Bindra),” shouted some youths.
But the huge media contingent, both from the electronic and the print, left the airport a trifle unhappy as they were expecting some more soundbytes from the shooter.
- Abhinav Bindra returns to a hero's welcome (Lead) - Aug 14, 2008
- NRAI asks Olympic champion Bindra to attend National Games - Feb 17, 2011
- Abhinav Bindra recommended for Bharat Ratna (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Abhinav Bindra recommended for Bharat Ratna - Dec 19, 2011
- Rathore misses CWG cut, lashes out at NRAI selection policy - Aug 31, 2010
- Abhinav Bindra takes athletes' oath at CWG opening ceremony - Oct 03, 2010
- No place for Rathore; Joydeep, Heena selected for London Olympics - Feb 19, 2012
- Abhinav to blame, says National Rifle Association - Jan 16, 2010
- Selectors have to take a call on shooter Rathore - Feb 18, 2012
- Selectors didn't have faith in Rathore: NRAI president - Mar 13, 2012
- Khel Ratna has brought added pressure: Narang - Jul 26, 2011
- Abhinav Bindra's parents shocked at his omission from World Cups - Jan 19, 2010
- India's London-bound shooters rue delay in government funding - Mar 31, 2012
- CWG silver lining: Increased funding for Indian sport (Year after CWG) - Sep 29, 2011
- Sushil Kumar named India's flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: abhinav bindra, air china, air rifle, aur, beijing olympics, buffs, departure gate, desh, indian olympic association, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, ioa, latest sports, motorcade, national rifle association, nrai, olympic gold, policemen, soundbytes, sun and the moon