Abhijeet third, Harika fifth at Corus chessJanuary 25th, 2009 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Wijk Aan Zee (Netherlands), Jan 25 (IANS) World junior champion Abhijeet Gupta stormed past a higher rated David Howell to come within half a point of the leaders at the end of the seventh round in the annual Corus Chess tournament here Saturday.Gupta had white pieces and he beat Howell in 57 moves in the Gruenfeld defence, while Harika held So to a draw in 45 moves of a Slav defence. The Indian girl had white pieces.
The Indian is sole third at 4.5 points, while Wesley So and Tiger Hillarp Persson lead Group C with five points each.
Even as Gupta was winning his game, World junior girls champion, Dronavali Harika held the tournament leader Wesley So to a tough draw in 45 moves to move into tied fifth place.
In group B, Krishnan Sasikiran, playing with black, lost to Henrique Mecking in 38 moves and slipped in the standings to tied 10th in the 14-player tournament. Nigel Short leads the field with five points after beating Rustam Kasimdhzanov in the seventh round in 50 moves of Guico Piano game. Short is followed by Fabiano Caruana, Andrei Volokitin and Alxander Motylev, all with 4.5 points each.
In Group A, Sergei Karjakin and Sergey Movsesian share the lead with 4.5 points each after seven rounds. Karjakin and Lev Aronian drew in 18 moves of Ruy Lopez closed, while Movsesian, with black pieces, stunned Vassily Ivanchuk.
Other results: Group C: Frank Holzke drew with Ali Bitalzadeh; Anish Giri drew with Friso Nijboer; Manuel Leon Hoyos beat Manuel Bosboom; Oleg Romanishin drew with Roeland Pruijssers; Eduardo Iturrizaga lost to Tiger Hillarp Persson.
- Abhijeet wins in Group C, Sasi held in group B - Jan 24, 2009
- Anand, Negi begin with draws at Corus chess - Jan 17, 2010
- Asian Games chess: Harika gets bronze, Sasikaran disappoints (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Ninth successive draw for Anand, Negi scores a win - Jan 27, 2010
- India's Chanda among five in the lead in Kolkata Open - Sep 03, 2009
- AAI Chess: Sasikiran has outside chance for top spot - Jul 01, 2011
- Corus chess: Anand draws again, Abhijeet wins 11th round - Jan 30, 2010
- Himangshu, Vidit pull off big upsets in Kolkata Open Chess - Sep 02, 2009
- Anand held for third time; Abhijit, Hari win - Jan 19, 2010
- Caruana takes sole lead in AAI Chess - Jun 24, 2011
- AAI chess: Sasi draws with Caruana, Hou Yifan downs Negi (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Yifan downs Negi on day of revenge in AAI chess - Jun 30, 2011
- AAI chess: Caruana stretches lead with win over Negi - Jun 29, 2011
- Sasikiran scores first win, Caruana takes sole lead in AAI Chess - Jun 24, 2011
- Anand draws again, Negi and Hari share Best Game prize - Jan 24, 2010
Tags: alxander, anish, caruana, corus chess tournament, david howell, five points, game world, gupta, hoyos, indian girl, junior girls, karjakin, lead group, manuel leon, nigel short, results group, romanishin, ruy lopez, tournament leader, world junior champion