Aaron Peirsol defeats Phelps in 100-meter backstrokeMay 17th, 2009 - 7:17 pm ICT by GD
The invincible Michael Phelps has finally met his match in the Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center this Saturday when Aaron Peirsol beat him in the 100-meter backstroke challenge. Phelps who had been reining the word of swimming had to face the defeat in the hand of the specialist backstroke swimmer, Aaron Peirsol. Few will know that this was Phelps first defeat after 364 days. Phelps had joined the competition in the hope of winning a new championship after his record eight gold medals win at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
Those who are well versed with the developments in the world of swimming will know about Aaron Peirsol and his specialization in backstroke. At the present moment he is probably the best sprint backstroke swimmer in the whole world. Moreover, the 100-meter backstroke has been his specialty since 2004 and he set his records straight with his grand win against Phelps. The difference between the two swimmers was actually very competitive. Peirsol finished the competition in 53.32 seconds while Phelps reached his destination in 53.79 seconds.
After winning the competition Peirsol commented, “By no means is anybody giving anything to anybody … I definitely wanted to win that.” The competition between Peirsol and Phelps was greatly awaited by all the swimming lovers because they were waiting for the showdown since the last Olympic. Most will know that both Phelps and Peirsol were set to take part in the 2008 Olympic trials but the competition between the two never took place because Phelps opted out of it since he wanted to concentrate on other races.
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Late burst gives Phelps 100m butterfly gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Lochte overtakes Phelps for gold in World Swimming Championships - Jul 26, 2011
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Paralympic Games: Brazilian Dias wins 4th swimming gold - Sep 07, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Kiwis banking on young swimmers to make golden splash in Delhi CWG pool - Oct 02, 2010
- Asian Games swimming: Khade creates history in pool after 24 years (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Can anybody upstage Phelps in Rome? - Jul 22, 2009
Tags: 2008 olympic trials, aaron peirsol, beijing olympics, gold medals, match, mecklenburg county aquatic center, meter backstroke, michael phelps, olympics, present moment, specialization, sprint, swimmer, swimmers