Aamer raring to go in World Twenty20June 5th, 2009 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
By Omar Khalid
London, June 5 (IANS) Pakistan’s teenage pace sensation Mohammad Aamer is hoping to make his presence felt in the World Twenty20 championship.
Rated very highly by former Pakistan skipper Wasim Akram, Aamer said that if given a chance in the 12-nation spectacle starting at Lord’s here Friday, he won’t disappoint his idol.
“He (Akram) is my idol and I will try my best not to disappoint him,” said the 17-year-old fast bowler, who was a surprise selection in the 15-man Pakistan squad.
Meanwhile, a Pakistan team official said Friday that there is a big possibility that the team might field Aamer in their opening match against England at the Oval Sunday.
Team coach Intikhab Alam said that Aamer can add some more firepower to Pakistan pace attack for what he believes is a crunch match.
Pakistan is looking to strengthen their bowling attack that failed to fire in the two warm-up games earlier this week.
Intikhab Alam said that Aamer has been bowling well in the nets and did a fine job during the practice game against India Wednesday which the team lost by nine wickets.
“Aamer is a fantastic new talent and we have great hopes in him,” said Intikhab, a former Pakistan captain.
“He is a serious contender to play in the opening game against England,” added the coach.
Intikhab said that Pakstan will finalise its line-up for the match against England following a team meeting Saturday evening.
- Pakistan appoints new bowling coach - Aug 25, 2012
- Pakistan trio to meet PCB officials in London (Roundup) - Sep 01, 2010
- Pakistan may field rookie quick Aamir to ruffle England's feathers in T20 opener - Jun 06, 2009
- Not fair to judge Dhoni after two defeats, says Akram - Aug 03, 2011
- Half-fit Shoaib can win World Cup for Pakistan, says Intikhab - Feb 15, 2011
- Yousuf's return to ODI squad would boost Pak's chances: Akram - Aug 27, 2010
- Replace Harbhajan with Mishra: Akram - Jul 27, 2011
- Akram lauds decision to include Pathan in Indian team - Jul 21, 2012
- Jadeja putting pressure on Pathan: Akram - Oct 22, 2011
- World Cup win will usher new era in Pakistan cricket: Intikhab - Mar 27, 2011
- Headingley Test performance against Australia 'a dream come true': Aamer - Jul 25, 2010
- Pakistan completely out bowled Australia in Headingley Test: Lawson - Jul 24, 2010
- India will have to bowl a lot better to win ODI series: Akram - Aug 29, 2011
- Mohammad Aamer, a cricket star so near yet so far - Aug 29, 2010
- Family, coach stand by embattled Pakistani pacer Aamer - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: bowling, contender, crunch, firepower, match, mohammad, nine wickets, omar khalid, pace attack, pakistan captain, pakistan team, practice game, saturday evening, sensation, skipper, spectacle, surprise selection, team coach, warm up games, world twenty20