A refuelled Tait keen to play against South AfricaJanuary 9th, 2009 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 9 (IANS) Australian speedster Shaun Tait says he is raring to play against South Africa in Sunday’s Twenty20 opener in Melbourne.The resurgent Tait was Thursday named in Australia’s 13-man squads for both the Twenty20 and one-day series against the Proteas.
Australia are ramping up their planning for the 2009 World Twenty20 and 2011 World Cup. Now back in the reckoning, Tait was relieved at his recall after being sidelined for a month with hamstring tendonitis.
“I am feeling fresh and over the moon, to be honest,” said Tait, who played his last one-day international in Dec 2007 ahead of a 10-month break from the game.
“I wasn’t sure what was going to happen with selection because of the injuries I’ve had,” Tait was quoted as saying in Daily Telegraph.
Australia’s 2007 World Cup enforcer believes it’s time to take up a senior role in a new-look attack and serve it up to the confident Proteas.
“The days have gone when I was the young fellow in the squad,” said Tait, who was restricted to four Shield games in 2008-09 and six one-day games, in which he has taken 12 wickets at 21.58.
Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch conceded Tait’s preparation had not been ideal, but said he would benefit from limited-overs exposure ahead of a return to the Test format.
“He is an explosive weapon at his best and we hope he will play a key role in both forms of the game this summer,” Hilditch said.
- Tait retires from ODIs to focus on T20 career - Mar 28, 2011
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Hastings a surprise selection in Australia World Cup squad - Jan 18, 2011
- Hastings in Australia's World Cup squad, Siddle dropped - Jan 18, 2011
- Australia select promising youngsters Smith, Birt for T20 against Pakistan - Feb 01, 2010
- Hauritz doubtful for England series, World Cup - Jan 22, 2011
- Tait proves fitness, Ferguson added to Oz squad for ODIs against England - Feb 01, 2011
- No room for both Tait and Lee in Oz WC squad - Jan 14, 2011
- Michael Hussey replaces injured Bollinger in Oz World Cup team - Mar 06, 2011
- Injured Hussey, Hauritz out of Australia's World Cup squad - Feb 08, 2011
- Hussey's World Cup participation in doubt due to hamstring injury - Jan 17, 2011
- Mike Hussey should be definitely picked to replace Bollinger: David - Mar 04, 2011
- Tait retires from one-day international cricket - Mar 28, 2011
- Cricket Australia to review its outdated system for awarding national contracts - Apr 02, 2010
- White appointed captain of Australia's T20 team - Jan 07, 2011