A race in Moscow would benefit F1: FisichellaJune 6th, 2012 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 6 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Formula One race on the streets of Moscow would be excellent for the sport and its Russian fans, three-time race winner Giancarlo Fisichella said Wednesday.
Plans to host a Grand Prix in Moscow collapsed a decade ago following failure to agree a TV deal, but Russia is now scheduled to host its first race in the southern resort city of Sochi in 2014.
“I think it would be great to make a street circuit for Formula One in Moscow,” Fisichella said.
“It would be very attractive for Formula One.”
The track could use some of the city streets near the Kremlin where Fisichella will drive a Ferrari in a demonstration next month, he added.
Interest in Formula One has grown in Russia since Vitaly Petrov, now at Caterham, joined the sport in 2010, and this is one of the necessary ingredients for a new race in Moscow, Fisichella suggested.
“You’ve got the interest in the races, and a driver,” he said.
The Sochi race is scheduled to start in the same year as the city hosts the Winter Olympics.
Sochi is prioritising the Olympics, which may cause “serious delays” for the race, Igor Yermilin, an adviser to the Russian Automobile Federation, told RIA Novosti in April.
A contract signed in 2010 between F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and Russian company Omega agreed that the race would be staged for six years between 2014 and 2020.
- Moscow Raceway lacks zing: Petrov - Jul 15, 2012
- F1 circuit mooted in Moscow - Jul 14, 2012
- Petrov's F1 career in danger - Aug 31, 2012
- Petrov looking at three teams for 2013 - Jul 28, 2012
- Hamilton wants Moscow F1 night race - Jul 15, 2012
- 'Moscow Raceway is suitable for Formula 1' - Jul 04, 2012
- Russians learn English for 2014 Winter Olympics - Apr 18, 2012
- List of venues for 2018 World Cup to be announced Sep 29 - Sep 05, 2012
- Russian Winter Olympic mascots to appear on coins - Feb 22, 2012
- Moscow raceway targets MotoGP standard - Aug 23, 2012
- Upgrades give Alonso a title shot: Fisichella - Jun 06, 2012
- Dull Moscow track is a shame: Prost - Jul 16, 2012
- Caterham pair disappoint in Silverstone qualifying - Jul 07, 2012
- Maldonado tops second practice at wet Hockenheim - Jul 20, 2012
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: adviser, city streets, dg, formula one, giancarlo fisichella, grand prix, kremlin, moscow, necessary ingredients, olympics, race winner, ria novosti, russian company, russian fans, sochi, supremo bernie ecclestone, time race, tv deal, vitaly petrov, winter olympics