A perfect start: WawrinkaJanuary 9th, 2011 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
By Anand Philar
Chennai, Jan 9 (IANS) A perfect week was how Stanislas Wawrinka described his victory in the Aircel ATP Chennai Open tennis tournament here Sunday as he looked ahead to regaining a spot in the top-10 rankings this year.Wawrinka beat Xavier Malisse, the seventh seed from Belgium, 7-5, 4-6, 6-1 in the final.
“I would say it was a perfect week and a perfect start for the season, especially ahead of the Australian Open. I didn’t play too well in the earlier rounds, but gradually improved by the time I played the final,” said the 25-year-old Swiss who became the first wild card entry to win the singles title here.
Wawrinka, ranked No.21, felt that his serves made a big difference against the 30-year old Belgian whose best moments came in the second set.
“He played well, but I think I played better. I came here four days in advance and practiced hard for this tournament and it is an amazing feeling to win here.
“Going into the Australian Open, the win here has given me a lot of confidence, but that apart, I am not sure whether I can break back into top 10. All the top 20 players are very good and so, it is difficult, but like I said, the win here has boosted my confidence,” said Wawrinka.
Malisse admitted that Wawrinka’s serve separated the two, especially in the first set and some of the big points.
“He won a lot of points on his first serve and that put me under pressure. My first serve let me down in the third set and I am very disappointed since I had been playing well all week.
“Looking ahead, I am scheduled to play in Auckland from Tuesday, but I will be arriving in New Zealand only on Tuesday morning. So, let us see how I feel and then decide,” said Malisse.
- Wawrinka clinches Chennai title - Jan 09, 2011
- Injured Cilic drops out of Chennai Open - Dec 13, 2011
- Chennai Open: Somdev to face Frenchman Prodon in first round - Dec 31, 2011
- Tipsarevic survives Nishikori scare - Jan 08, 2011
- Two Indian pairs get Wild Cards for Chennai Open - Dec 28, 2011
- Chennai Open: Tough draw for Somdev, Yuki (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Wawrinka survives Goffin scare - Jan 07, 2011
- Indians knocked out of Chennai Open singles (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Malisse enters final of Chennai Open - Jan 08, 2011
- Chennai Open: Soeda puts out champ Wawrinka, Raonic also reaches semis - Jan 06, 2012
- Wawrinka set for Chennai Open title defence - Dec 29, 2011
- Chennai Open: Soeda stuns Wawrinka; Tipsy survives Belgian challenge - Jan 07, 2012
- Chennai Open: Wawrinka survives a scare - Jan 05, 2012
- 2010 Chennai Open promises high-octave action - Jan 02, 2011
- Wawrinka beats Berrer in Chennai ATP Open (Lead) - Jan 09, 2010
Tags: atp chennai, auckland, australian open, belgium, confidence, new zealand, open tennis tournament, singles title, stanislas wawrinka, swiss, top 10 rankings, tuesday morning, victory, wild card, xavier malisse