A dignified genius, say Manna’s contemporariesFebruary 27th, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 27 (IANS) Sailen Manna’s contemporaries Monday hailed the legendary Indian footballer as one who combined on-field toughness of a defender with dignity and ability to intimidate the opponents without ever being rough.
“Manna-da never retaliated. He was a perfect gentleman both on and off the field. He was never booked during his long career. It was an amazing achievement and spoke volumes of the dignity with which he played,” said former Indian Olympic captain Samar (Badru) Banerjee, who played for the national team under Manna’s leadership.
Recalling an incident showing Manna’s toughness, Banerjee said once Calcutta Club instructed a well-built British footballer to ensure that Mohun Bagan’s Manna left the field with an injury. The player charged at Manna’ knee in the initial minutes. “Manna-da was in severe pain. It seemed he would collapse and was stretchered out. But within a short while he came back, wearing a knee cap.”
Manna-da even fired home a free kick to restore parity for his team, said Banerjee, who watched the game as a spectator.
Banerjee said Manna had a good physique and raw power. “He never indulged in rough play, but still he could intimidate even the tallest and sturdiest of European forwards.”
Referring to Manna’s affectionate nature, Banerjee said he was always protective about juniors and saw to it that they felt comfortable in the team. “I myself received lot of affection from him when I joined Mohun Bagan in 1952,” he said.
Yesteryears’ stalwart P.K. Banerjee said Manna was a player of all-round ability. “He was a thorough gentleman. Even his opponents loved him. But on the ground, he did not give an inch to the rival forwards. He had excellent anticipation, covering and was wonderful in set-pieces.”
- Soccer legend Sailen Manna dead (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Sailen Manna - a genteel footballer and natural leader (Obituary) - Feb 27, 2012
- Soccer legend Sailen Manna is dead (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- FIFA chief Blatter pays tribute to Sailen Manna - Feb 28, 2012
- Manna Dey, Mahasweta get inaugural 'Banga-Vibhusan' - Jul 25, 2011
- Relegation threatened Chirag United face Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 30, 2012
- Samar Banerjee gets Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 30, 2009
- We are not intimidated by Bagan: Sukhwinder - Jan 26, 2012
- Mohun Bagan remembers 1911 IFA Shield win - Jul 30, 2010
- Sailen Manna - Factfile - Feb 27, 2012
- East Bengal, Mohun Bagan finish 1-1 in I-League - Feb 04, 2012
- P.K.Banerjee to be conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 07, 2011
- Football legend Sailen Manna dead - Feb 27, 2012
- Ruud Gullit enthralls Mohun Bagan crowd - Jul 30, 2012
- Odafe hat-trick helps Mohun Bagan come from behind to beat Arrows - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: affectionate nature, calcutta, contemporaries, dignity, footballer, forwards, free kick, initial minutes, juniors, knee cap, manna, mohun bagan, p k banerjee, parity, perfect gentleman, raw power, samar, severe pain, spectator, toughness