73 killed in Egypt football match riot (Lead)February 2nd, 2012 - 5:06 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Feb 2 (IANS) At least 73 people died Wednesday when a riot broke out after a football match at a stadium in eastern Egypt, the state-run media reported.
The riot erupted in Port Said city after the home team el-Masry beat popular el-Ahly team three to one in an Egyptian Premier League match.
The fans of the rival teams started pelting stones at each other amid weak presence of security force, Xinhua quoted the official Nile TV as saying. Hundreds of people were injured.
Chief of Egypt’s ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces Hussein Tantawi ordered two military planes to fly to the riot scene for airlifting the players, fans and the injured.
Egyptian parliament will hold an emergency session Thursday over the clash.
Following the riot, a big fire erupted in the stadium where another match between Zamalik and Ismaily teams was cancelled because of the riot.
Egyptian Prosecutor General Abdel Maguid Mahmoud has ordered an investigation into the riot.
- 53 killed in Egypt football riot - Feb 02, 2012
- Surveillance cameras for all Egyptian sports venues - Mar 19, 2012
- 74 dead, 1,000 injured in Egypt football violence (Third Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- 73 killed, 1,000 hurt in Egypt football stadium violence (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Over 600 injured as police-protesters clash in Egypt - Feb 03, 2012
- Politicians and fans blame Egyptian army for soccer violence - Feb 02, 2012
- Football violence: Egypt announces three-day mourning - Feb 02, 2012
- Five killed as gunmen attack police station in Egypt's Sinai - Jul 30, 2011
- Soccer fans and policemen injured in Cairo - Sep 08, 2011
- Egypt's defence minister inspects Tahrir Square - Feb 04, 2011
- Egypt president orders defence minister to retire - Aug 13, 2012
- East Bengal, Mohun Bagan finish 1-1 in I-League - Feb 04, 2012
- Mubarak, family barred from leaving Egypt - Mar 01, 2011
- Egypt's ruling military council chief meets president hopefuls - Nov 27, 2011
- Hillary Clinton holds discussions with Egyptian military chief - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: egyptian parliament, el ahly, el masry, emergency session, feb 2, football match, ismaily, mahmoud, military planes, nile tv, players fans, premier league, prosecutor general, riot, rival teams, security force, supreme council, tantawi, xinhua, zamalik