4th Military World Games kicks off today in HyderabadNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:13 am ICT by admin
Tight security arrangements have been made for the Games in the wake of the blasts here in August this year and subsequent intelligence inputs that the main venue of the Games was on terror group’s target.
A staggering presence of close to 25000 security personnel- both military, paramilitary and police, is in the city for the Games, which will conclude on October 21.
Representatives of the Conseil International du Sport Militaire’s (CISM), the international governing body for the Games, had reviewed the security preparedness on August 23, two days before the serial blasts, and had then expressed their satisfaction with the arrangements.
After the blasts, the Defence Ministry and the Army constantly monitored the situation, and decided not to bring any big change in the schedule of the Games.
Close to 6,000 athletes from 106 countries are taking part in the sporting extravaganza, which has 1,076 medals in different games and sports.
Five countries are participating as observers in this event, which is taking place first time outside Europe. The CISM Military World Games are held every four years, a year prior to the Olympics.
A total of 13 disciplines- Pentathlon, Shooting, Parachuting, Athletics, Triathlon, Swimming, Sailing, Boxing, Wresting, Judo, Football, Handball and Volleyball-are being held, with hockey and kabaddi being scrapped due to ‘lack of participation’. However, these two sports will be organised only for demonstration.
Polo will be held as an exhibition discipline. (ANI)
- Jessica Ennis 'labelled "overweight" by UK Athletics' - May 25, 2012
- Maldives to host second South Asian Beach Games - Oct 13, 2011
- 142 Indian contingent for London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Indian Rowing team eyes gold at Asian Games - Nov 05, 2010
- Olympic shooting test event held in London - Apr 19, 2012
- Olympic modern pentathlon: Lithuania's Asadauskaite wins last gold - Aug 13, 2012
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
- Athlete barred from Olympics after marrying foreigner - Apr 05, 2012
- F1 legend Senna inspiration for Brazilian triathlete - May 29, 2012
- Beijing gold haul difficult in London: Chinese official - Apr 18, 2012
- 13 Olympics events will be played at Commonwealth Games - Aug 28, 2010
- Pak plays down 'concerns' over Delhi CWG, says pre-event security check 'normal' - Sep 24, 2010
- Indian sportspersons have gone to London thinking of gold - Jul 25, 2012
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- 4,000 people to take part in London 2012 test event - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: army generals, blasts, cism, conseil international, defence minister, defence ministers, defence ministry, different games, hyderabad secunderabad, international governing body, kabaddi, military world games, opening ceremony, paramilitary, pentathlon, security arrangements, security personnel, target, terror group, tight security