34th National Games beginFebruary 12th, 2011 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Feb 12 (IANS) The 34th National Games got off to a spectacular start at the Birsa Munda Athletics Stadium in Jharkhand’s capital Ranchi Saturday evening.Long before the start of the opening ceremony, people started queuing up at the gates of the stadium. More than 80 percent of the stadium was full by the time the ceremony began.
Governor M.O.H. Farook inaugurated the Games. “It is a red letter day in history of Jharkhand,” said Farook.
The opening ceremony began with the National Anthem. The teams participated in a march past, led by the Services contingent. The contingent of Manipur, the last games’ champions, was the second in the march past.
A total of 28 states and five union territories took part in the march past.
The 25,000-strong spectators welcomed the home team’s contingent with a thunderous roar.
Earlier, the Jharkhand Armed Police band regaled the spectators. A plane hovered over the stadium and showered rose petals after the governor’s arrival.
Chief Minister Arjun Munda, Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi, former chief minister Shibu Soren and Jharkhand Olympic Association president R.K. Anand were present on the occasion.
- Vivek, Ameesha jazz up 34th National Games' opening show (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Syed Ahmad is new Jharkhand governor - Sep 04, 2011
- New ombudsman for Jharkhand - Jan 03, 2011
- Ranchi stadium named after tainted lawyer Anand - Feb 18, 2011
- Vivek Oberoi to perform at National Games - Feb 12, 2011
- Sorens ignored at National Games: JMM - Feb 15, 2011
- Glittering ceremony brings down curtain on National Games (Lead) - Feb 27, 2011
- Jharkhand to introduce right to service act - Aug 15, 2011
- Tea, lunch parties to keep legislators together in Jharkhand - Sep 08, 2010
- Arjun Munda becomes Jharkhand chief minister again (Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- Arjun Munda becomes Jharkhand chief minister third time (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- BJP stakes claim to form Jharkhand government (Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- President and PM to skip National Games opening - Feb 11, 2011
- Arjun Munda seeks early assembly by-poll - Jan 11, 2011
- Independent legislator withdraws support to Soren government - Apr 30, 2010
Tags: anand, arjun munda, armed police, association president, birsa munda, chief minister, contingent, indian olympic association, jharkhand, last games, national anthem, national games, opening ceremony, petals, police band, saturday evening, shibu soren, spectators, thunderous roar, union territories