30-member squad announced for Maldives and Qatar friendliesJuly 5th, 2011 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 5 (IANS) India’s chief football coach Armando Colaco Tuesday announced a 30-member squad for three friendlies against the Maldives, Qatar and Kazakhstan to prepare the national team for the first round World Cup qualifiers against the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
After the friendlies, the squad will be pruned to 23 for the home-and-away matches against the higher-ranked UAE. The first-leg of the World Cup qualifiers will be held in Abu Dhabi July 23 and Delhi will host the return leg July 28.
Striker Jeje Lalpeklua, mid-fielders Jewel Raja Sheikh, Shilton D’Silva, Lalrindika Ralte and defender Raju Eknath Gaikwad, also captain of the under-23 team, are some of the new faces in the senior team.
East Bengal’s attacking mid-fielder Mehtab Hussain makes a comeback after six years while Sunil Chettri will be leading the attack.
Armando said he would prefer to play the 4-1-4-1 formation against UAE and both Jeje and Chettri will be playing as lone striker.
“Mehtab is an aggressive player and he will play in front of the four defenders. I will also like to use Peter Carvalho as a withdrawn forward,” said Armando.
Steven Dias, Syed Rahim Nabi and Climax Lawrence could be the other mid-fielders in the starting line-up with Carvalho.
Subrata Paul will be the first choice goalkeeper while Gourmangi Singh, Raju Gaekwad, Sameer Naik and Debobrata Roy will be manning the defence.
India play in the Maldives July 10 and Qatar at the Al Sadd Stadium in Doha July 17 while the date for the friendly against Kazakhstan is yet to be decided.
Goalkeepers: Subrata Pal, Sandip Nandy, Karanjit Singh, Laxmikant Kattimani
Defenders: Gourmangi Singh, Denzel Franco, Rowilson Rodrigues, Raju Eknath Gaikwad, Valleriano Rebello, Debabrata Roy, Sameer Naik, Mahesh Gawli, Robert Lalthlamuana
Midfielders: Mehtab Hossain, Syed Rahim Nabi, Harmanjot Khabra, Steven Dias, Jewel Raja Sheikh, Shilton D’Silva, Lalrindika Ralte, Peter Carvalho, Climax Lawrence, Clifford Miranda, Rakesh Masih, Lalkamal Bhowmick
Forwards: Sunil Chhetri, Jeje Lalpekhlua, CS Sabeeth, Sushil Kumar Singh, Baljit Sahni
Standbys: Khanjom Jibon Singh, Anthony Barbosa, Thokchom Naoba Singh, Anil Kumar
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- Spirited India hold UAE 2-2, but World Cup dreams over (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- World Cup qualifier: Spirited India hold UAE 2-2, but lose 2-5 in aggregate - Jul 28, 2011
- India looking to upset UAE in World Cup qualifiers - Jul 22, 2011
- Koevermans includes Chettri in Nehru Cup probables - Aug 07, 2012
- Medeira officially appointed India coach, injured Paul dropped - Nov 02, 2011
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- Koevermans names 37 probables for Nehru Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- Bhaichung, Renedy among 32 probables for Pakistan friendlies - Jul 20, 2011
- World Cup qualifier: India have nothing to lose against UAE - Jul 27, 2011
- Sunil Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 05, 2012
- 17 Indian Arrows players among 25 probables for Olympic qualifiers - Jun 03, 2011
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- Tough for India to make Nehru Cup hat-trick - Aug 21, 2012
- India face Kuwait in Asian Games opener - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: aggressive player, al sadd, colaco, debabrata, east bengal, fielders, football coach, friendlies, laxmikant, member squad, mid fielder, nandy, new faces, rebello, return leg, sameer, shilton, subrata paul, united arab emirates, world cup qualifiers