29 Olympic champions to spearhead China at London GamesJuly 10th, 2012 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 10 (IANS) Spearheaded by 29 Beijing Olympic champions, China will bid to confirm supremacy at the London Olympic Games.
China Tuesday announced its 396-strong team including 29 Beijing Olympic titlists, who will be the stars to watch at the upcoming games, reported Xinhua.
Badminton pinup boy Lin Dan, judo world champion Tong Wen, swimming ace Liu Zige, sharpshooter Du Li and boxer Zou Shiming are among the stellar list, who are making efforts to defend their titles at London.
“I am ready to compete in London. But winning the gold four years ago doesn’t mean I can win it this time,” said China’s star judoka Tong. “I will be well prepared both physically and mentally.”
“All the competitors will do their best at the Olympics, and I will be myself and perform my utmost,” the 29-year-old added.
At Beijing 2008, host China sent its biggest-ever Olympic team of 639 athletes who finally won 51 gold medals, and stunned the world by standing on top of the medal table on home soil.
By winning 51 golds, 21 silvers and 28 bronzes, China also relegated the United States to second place.
- Chinese judokas set sight on heavyweight classes - Jul 09, 2012
- China to send 396-strong team to London Olympics - Jul 10, 2012
- Olympic judo: France's Riner wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics judo: Cuba's Ortiz wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic boxing: China's Zou takes light flyweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Chinese women's judo team making progress: Coach - Jul 10, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Gold for France's Decosse in women's 70 kg judo - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic judo: Kim scores revenge over Bischof for gold - Aug 01, 2012
- China, US to battle it out for top position in London - Jul 22, 2012
- Cuba achieves historic performance in Paralympics - Sep 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Bronze for Russia, Ireland - Aug 10, 2012
- Putin to host Russian Olympic team in Kremlin - Jul 21, 2012
- Japan aims for top five finish at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: badminton, beijing 2008, bronzes, gold medals, home soil, judo world, judoka, lin dan, liu, london games, medal table, olympic champions, olympic games, olympic team, olympics, sharpshooter, tong, upcoming games, world champion, xinhua