2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient OlympiaMay 10th, 2012 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
Ancient Olympia (Greece), May 10 (IANS) The torch for the 2012 London Games was lit here Thursday at the site of the ancient Olympics.
In front of the ruins of the ancient Temple of Hera, an actress playing the role of a high priestesses lit the Olympic flame by the rays of the sun in a parabolic mirror.
Dignitaries at the ceremony included International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge and Sebastian Coe, chief of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG).
“We promise to protect the flame, to cherish its traditions and stage an uplifting torch relay of which we can be proud,” Coe said in a speech, adding that the event would “lift the spirits and hopes of people across Britain and across the world”.
The flame was handed over to the first torch-bearer, Greek world swimming champion Spyros Gianniotis, marking the start of an 1,800-mile journey through the country featuring 490 torch-bearers, Xinhua reports.
It will then be handed to London Games’ organisers May 17 in Athens’ Panathenaic Stadium.
The 70-day relay around Britain will start at Land’s End May 19 and end with the opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, east London July 27.
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Be true to human nature: Olympic Flame ceremonies High Priestess - Jul 18, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- Demand for Olympic torch soars - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic torch reaches Vancouver - Feb 12, 2010
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- London Paralympics open in 'journey of discovery' - Aug 30, 2012
- Olympic torch relay hit by flash protests - Jul 22, 2012
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: ancient olympia greece, ancient olympics, ancient temple, high priestesses, international olympic committee, ioc president jacques rogge, london games, mile journey, olympic flame, olympic games, olympic stadium, olympic torch, organising committee, panathenaic stadium, parabolic mirror, sebastian coe, temple of hera, torch bearer, torch bearers, torch relay