2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 placesNovember 7th, 2011 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 7 (IANS) The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) confirmed Monday that 1,018 villages, towns and cities in Britain will be on the route of the torch relay.
This means that LOCOG has realised the aspiration of taking the Olympic flame to within an hour’s journey time of 95 percent of the population. In fact, over 95 percent of the population will be within just 10 miles (16 km) of the Olympic flame next summer, reported Xinhua.
Not only does the route include villages, town and cities, the Olympic torch relay will also take in hundreds of landmarks.
LOCOG chairman Sebastian Coe said: “I’m delighted that the Olympic torch relay will take the 2012 Games at almost every corner of the UK and that we have achieved our ambition to take the flame to within an hour’s journey of 95 percent of the population. Now everyone is invited to plan their welcome and find out where they can go to be part of this historic occasion. The Olympic Games are coming to you as the Olympic flame gives our people and places their moment to shine.”
The Olympic flame will arrive into Britain from Greece on May 18, 2012 then begin a 70-day journey starting at Land’s End, Cornwall on the morning of May 19, 2012.
The Olympic flame will travel an estimated 8,000 miles around, carried by 8,000 torchbearers.
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- London Paralympics open in 'journey of discovery' - Aug 30, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- London Olympics motto 'Inspire a generation' unveiled - Apr 18, 2012
- London Olympic tickets unveiled - May 22, 2012
- Demand for Olympic torch soars - Jul 27, 2012
- School children create largest human London 2012 Logo - Apr 25, 2012
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, ambition, aspiration, cornwall, greece, journey time, landmarks, locog, olympic flame, olympic games, olympic torch relay, olympics, olympics torch, organising committee, paralympic games, population, sebastian coe, towns and cities, xinhua