2010 sees first European World Cup champ outside EuropeJuly 7th, 2010 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, July 7 (DPA) The Dutch semi-final victory over Uruguay Tuesday assures Europe of a first World Cup football title at a tournament played outside its territory.
So far no team from the continent has achieved the feat outside Europe, but the jinx will end Sunday when the Dutch face either Germany or Spain in the 2010 final.
The South Africa World Cup is the ninth of 19 overall held outside Europe.
Brazil won four editions, 1962 in Chile, 1970 in Mexico, 1994 in the United States and 2002 in Japan/South Korea. Argentina and Uruguay share two titles each: Uruguay 1930 at home and 1950 in Brazil, Argentina 1978 at home and 1986 in Mexico.
Meanwhile, Brazil’s 1958 title in Sweden is the only one won by a non-European team in Europe.
The other nine events on the Old Continent were all won by European teams.
Italy’s four titles came 1934 at home, 1938 in France, 1982 in Spain and 2006 in Germany. West Germany got its treble 1954 in Switzerland, 1974 at home and 1990 in Italy. England and France won their respective home edition in 1966 and 1998, respectively.
Sunday’s final is the eighth overall between European teams.
- Spain and the Netherlands to make history - Jul 09, 2010
- Netherlands victory sets up all-Europe final - Jul 07, 2010
- World Cup winners - Jul 12, 2010
- Top four finishers at the World Cup football - Jul 11, 2010
- An eighth world champion will be crowned - Jul 08, 2010
- Spain outclass Germany to reach World Cup final (Third lead, changing dateline) - Jul 08, 2010
- European football power on the wane at this World Cup - Jun 30, 2010
- Dutch reach World Cup final; captaincy row roils Germans (Second Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Spain make history as hosts exceed expectations(Cup Review) - Jul 12, 2010
- How title holders fared at the World Cup - Jun 24, 2010
- Iniesta goal gives Spain World Cup glory (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Draw for 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa - Dec 05, 2009
- Dutch reach World Cup final after 3-2 defeat of Uruguay - Jul 07, 2010
- Goalscorers at World Cup 2010 - Jul 12, 2010
- Spain clinch maiden World Cup title - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: africa world, argentina 1978, brazil, chile, cup champ, final victory, football title, italy, jinx, johannesburg, mexico 1994, old continent, south africa, south korea, spain, switzerland, treble, uruguay 1930, west germany, world cup football