200 metres sprint final postponed after appeal by disqualified athleteOctober 11th, 2010 - 2:37 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 11 (IANS) The women’s 200 m sprint final in track and field competition at the Commonwealth Games here was postponed to Monday after a disqualified Cyprus athlete lodged a protest.
Cyprus sprinter Elena Artymata appealed to the jury after she was disqualified in heat number one of the semi finals Sunday. Following the protest her name figured in the start list but a press release from teehnical delegate Bill Bailey asserted that the event has been postponed till 5.50 p.m Monday due to the results of semifinals being appealed to the jury.
Artymata had strayed into an adjacent lane, but the matter escaped the notice of the officials.
She won the race and her name appeared in the official start list for the final.
However, one of the runners appealed and she was diswualified. But Artymata also filed a counter-appeal which will be decided Monday.
- James, Bolt in running for World Athlete of the Year award - Oct 04, 2011
- Bolt disqualified for false start in 100m in Daegu; Blake wins - Aug 28, 2011
- Dix out of 200m for London Games - Jun 30, 2012
- Olympics: South Korea's Park reinstated for final after disqualified (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- U.S. judoka expelled from Olympics for cannabis - Aug 06, 2012
- Bailey eyes podium finish in London - Dec 30, 2011
- England protest against Pearson's Delhi CWG win may be 'payback': Oz official - Oct 08, 2010
- Bolt, Pearson named IAAF athletes of the year - Nov 13, 2011
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- CAS rejects India's appeal on Vikas Krishan - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Algerian runner excluded for not trying - Aug 07, 2012
- Mandeep blames federation for not providing team doctor - Jul 01, 2011
- Commonwealth Games lanes restrictions from today - Sep 24, 2010
- 'Madam Speedy' looking for Olympic glory - Jul 12, 2012
- CWG athletics: Nigerian sprint winner fails dope test - Oct 11, 2010
Tags: athlete, bill bailey, commonwealth games, cyprus, delegate, elena, field competition, heat number, New Delhi, oct 11, Press Release, protest, runners, semi finals, sprint, sprinter, track and field