20 drivers for Polo Cup seriesMay 5th, 2011 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 5 (IANS) Volkswagen Motorsport India Thursday announced the starting grid of 20 drivers for the Polo Cup India 2011, the second season of the one-make touring car series that begins June 17 at the Kari Motor Speedway in Coimbatore.
The grid includes six repeaters and 14 rookie drivers, all in the 16-24 years age group who were shortlisted out of 1,600 registrations and after two rounds of selections, according to a press release.
The selection process took place under the scrutiny of an expert jury consisting of Akbar Ebrahim, India’s only principle instructor in racing, Rayomand Banajee, six times National champion, Rohitaaz Kumar from JK Tyre Motorsport and Ronny Wechselberger from Volkswagen Motorsport.
The series will be run concurrently with the JK Tyre National Road Racing Championship.
The drivers will compete in new and sportier Race Polos built with identical technology, and centrally tuned and maintained by Volkswagen India factory mechanics.
The cars will be powered by a 1.6-liter R4 common rail diesel (CRD) engine capable of a top track speed of 180 kmph. An improved exhaust and bonnet air scoop, together with a new steering wheel, steering angle sensor and electronic driver drink, are some additions to the new Race Polo.
“The overwhelming response and incredible success of the debut season of the Polo Cup India is a testimony to the talent pool in India and the interest in the sport.
“The Volkswagen Polo Cup India is set on international standards and gives young talent the best precondition to compete internationally With second season of the Polo Cup India, we strengthen our commitment towards promoting Motorsports in India ,” John Chacko, Volkswagen Group Chief Representative India, said in a press release Thursday.
The drivers are: Alisha Abdullah (Chennai), Abhinav Aditya Agarwal (Faridabad), Saurav Bandyopadhyay (Mumbai). Prateek Dalal (Bahadurgarh), Mihir Dharkar (Mumbai), Avdumber Hede (Goa), Vidit Jain (Delhi), Ajay Kini (Bangalore), Oshan Kothadiya (Pune), A Sandeep Kumar (Chennai), Angad Singh Matharoo (Chandigarh), Achintya Mehrotra (Delhi), Saif Mihir (Delhi), Rahil Noorani (Mumbai), Aditya Vijay Pawar (Mumbai), Vishnu Prasad (Chennai), Swamathia Rayen (Mumbai), Munjal Savla (Mumbai), Lawrence Taur (Bangalore) and Donovan Vaz (Goa).
- Petrol cars for Polo Cup - May 17, 2012
- Commanding win for Deepak in National Racing Championship - Jun 18, 2011
- Vishnu, Abdumber to race in China - Sep 22, 2011
- Full grids for National Racing Championship - Jun 15, 2011
- Impressive wins for Balu, Kutty - Aug 26, 2012
- Ameya, Vishnu annex titles in JK Tyre National Racing - Nov 27, 2011
- Top 10 finishes for Vishnu, Avdumber in Polo Cup China - Oct 03, 2011
- JK National Racing Championship promises faster action - Jul 06, 2012
- Aditya Patel finishes fifth in Volkswagen Scirocco R Cup - Oct 23, 2011
- Bumpy ride for Karthikeyan and Chandhok - Oct 23, 2011
- Double for Vishnu, Deepak at National Racing Championship - Jun 19, 2011
- Walavalkar clinches pole in Volkswagen Polo R Cup - Aug 25, 2012
- Close battles in the offing at national racing - Aug 24, 2012
- Podium finish for Aditya Patel in Volkswagen Scirocco Cup - Aug 07, 2011
- Bolisetti to drive in British GT series - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: abhinav, air scoop, angle sensor, bahadurgarh, chief representative, common rail diesel, debut season, electronic driver, group chief, jk tyre, john chacko, motor speedway, national champion, polo cup, principle instructor, rookie drivers, starting grid, volkswagen group, volkswagen motorsport, volkswagen polo