12 sports stadiums to be flood-lit in PunjabAugust 7th, 2010 - 10:37 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 7 (IANS) The Punjab government has given the go ahead to the state’s sports department to provide flood-lighting for 12 sports stadiums across the state.
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who also handles the sports ministry here, has approved the Rs.645 million proposal for flood-lighting of the stadiums, a sports department official said here Saturday.
Badal approved the construction of a hockey stadium at Faridkot, about 280 km from here, and upgradation of hockey stadiums in Ludhiana, Jalandhar and Amritsar. He also approved the upgradation of multipurpose stadiums in Jalandhar, Bathinda, Sangrur, Hoshiarpur, Amritsar, Mansa, Gurdaspur, Jalandhar and Ludhiana.
The deputy chief minister said it was his commitment during the World Cup Kabaddi-2010, held across Punjab this year, that next event would be held in upgraded flood-lit stadiums so that more people could enjoy the traditional game of Punjab.
He said Punjab finance department had already sanctioned Rs.200 million for the upgradation of the stadiums and remaining funds would be arranged through state government agencies.
- World Kabaddi cup begins in Punjab Nov 1 - Oct 27, 2011
- Punjab announces new sports policy - Sep 19, 2010
- Development authorities to cover entire Punjab - Aug 18, 2010
- Punjab dissolves all improvement trusts - Jul 11, 2012
- Women's teams to feature in kabaddi World Cup - Jul 17, 2011
- Punjab to host Kabaddi World Cup next month - Mar 17, 2010
- Akalis, BJP build on new, secular identity (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 14, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- After gala start, India take on Germany in Kabaddi World Cup - Nov 02, 2011
- Punjab Games to have rich cash incentives - Nov 10, 2010
- India, Canada teams to clash in Kabaddi finals - Nov 19, 2011
- Twelve nations to vie for Rs.2 crore World Kabaddi Cup - Jun 19, 2011
- The 'desi' boys of Punjab's kabaddi world cup - Nov 08, 2011
- Groundwater contaminated, Punjab battles uranium curse (Punjab Newsletter) - Jul 13, 2012
- Punjab sends 120 trucks of fodder, cattle feed to Leh - Sep 05, 2010
Tags: badal, bathinda, deputy chief minister, faridkot, finance department, flood lighting, hockey stadium, jalandhar, proposal, punjab chandigarh, punjab government, s sports, sports department, sports ministry, sports stadiums, state government agencies, traditional game, world cup