11 Commonwealth Games venues handed over to organising committeeAugust 6th, 2010 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 6 (IANS) The Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (CGOC) Friday took control of 11 competition venues to host the Oct 3-14 Games.
The organising committee’s venue team will now start the process of checking the assets and assessing the condition of all venues. The venue for lawn tennis, R.K. Khanna Stadium, was the first to be handed over to the CGOC.
The Rugby7s venue in Delhi University and Thyagraj Stadium for netball has also been handed over. The organising commitee also took charge of the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium for hockey, Indira Gandhi Sports Complex and Karni Shooting Range.
“The remaining four venues hosting seven sports will be taken over by the weekend. We will make sure everything is in place before our team takes over each of the venues,” said Lalit Bhanot, secretary general of CGOC.
Venues taken over by CGOC: R.K Khanna Stadium (tennis), Thyagraj Stadium (netball), Delhi University (Rugby7s), Talkatora Stadium (boxing), Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium (hockey), Indira Gandhi Sports Complex (cycling, gymnastics and wrestling), Karni Singh Shooting Range, Siri Fort (for badminton and squash).
Following seven venues will be taken over by the weekend: S.P. Mukherjee Sports Complex (swimming), Yamuna Sports Complex (table tennis), Yamuna Sports Complex (archery), Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium, Athletics (weightlifting), Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium (lawn bowls and athletics) and Full Bore Shooting Range at Kadarpur.
- CWG stadium factfile (With Stadium story) - Jun 25, 2010
- 13 Olympics events will be played at Commonwealth Games - Aug 28, 2010
- Come-and-Play scheme has 10,000 on its rolls - Sep 06, 2011
- OC hands over completion certificates of all venues to CGF - Sep 06, 2010
- Fennell inspects Commonwealth Games venues (Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- 'Park and Ride' or 'Park and Walk' to Games venues - Aug 29, 2010
- CWG schedule: Day Seven - Oct 09, 2010
- Fennell satisfied with Commonwealth Games venues (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2010
- CWG schedule, Day 2 - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG Schedule, Day Five - Oct 08, 2010
- CWG has spurred interest among people in sports: Experts - Oct 15, 2010
- CWG schedule: Day nine of competitions - Oct 12, 2010
- CWG Schedule, Day Nine - Oct 12, 2010
- Gill inaugurates remodelled Nehru stadium in Delhi - Jul 27, 2010
- CAG slams planning and execution of work at CWG stadia - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: archery, cgoc, commonwealth games, competition venues, delhi university, dhyan chand, gymnastics, indira gandhi, jawahar lal nehru, lal, lawn bowls, lawn tennis, nehru stadium, netball, organising commitee, organising committee, secretary general, shooting range, table tennis, weightlifting