10th Stage Of Tour De France Brings In Old Memories For Lance ArmstrongJuly 14th, 2010 - 8:22 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Chambery, July 14, (THAINDIAN NEWS) It was seven years ago when the champion cyclist was left with no other option but to cut through the field to save himself from the crash. Thus, Lance Armstrong saved himself from going down like Spaniard Joseba Beloki. July 14th shall be a recall session for Lance Armstrong as the 10th stage of Tour De France reaches the gap.
Cyclists in the race shall have to ride their bikes all the way through La Rochette and its a big leap ahead before they make it to the finish line. That includes three climbs before they reach the Gap. Way back in 2003, the weather conditions were favorable and Lance Armstrong was physically more strong and managed his way well avoiding the crashes. When asked about his chances in the race, Lance Armstrong told the media that this year he shall make it sure that he stays out of the field. Reportedly, the cyclist had aspired for the eight Tour which all went for a toss with Sunday’s crash which made him go down in the standings.
On the other hand, we have the last two stage winners for Gap; Frenchman Pierrick Fedrigo and Alexandre Vinokourov. July 14 is also the French “Bastille Day” and the French fans hope to witness a native rider leading the race. The last time French had a taste of victory on Bastille Day was way back in 1947 when a total of 13 French riders emerged as winners. It includes 2001 winner Laurent Jalabert, 2003 winner Richard Virenque and 2005 winner David Moncoutie. It was Luxembourg’s Andy Schleck who took the lead on Tuesday. The rider was 41 seconds ahead of defending champion Alberto Contador.
- Rotterdam Gears Up For Tour De France - Jul 03, 2010
- Tour de France Stage 15 Results: Contador Takes The Lead - Jul 20, 2009
- Stage 18 of the Tour, a crucial time trial, gets under way - Jul 23, 2009
- Lance Armstrong Crashes In Tour De California, Gets Eight Stitches Below Left Eye - May 21, 2010
- Cycling champ Armstrong plays down retirement rumours - Jan 25, 2010
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov wins gold in Olympic road race - Jul 28, 2012
- Contador clings on to retain Vuelta lead - Sep 09, 2012
- Contador wins 2009 Tour de France, Armstrong finishes third - Jul 27, 2009
- Tour De France 2010 Route Declared - Oct 14, 2009
- Stage 20 of Tour de France starts, last hurdle for Contador - Jul 25, 2009
- Astana looks to Armstrong for needed redemption - Jun 30, 2009
- 2009 Tour de France: Alberto Contador Ahead Of The Rest - Jul 24, 2009
- 2009 Tour de France: Juan Manuel Garate's Race To Victory - Jul 26, 2009
- Lance Armstrong's New Zealand holiday - Jan 30, 2011
- Tour de France champion Contador suspended after failing drug test - Sep 30, 2010
Tags: alberto contador, alexandre vinokourov, andy schleck, bastille day, chambery, champion cyclist, david moncoutie, defending champion, finish line, french fans, joseba beloki, la rochette, lance armstrong, old memories, pierrick fedrigo, ranjan, richard virenque, stage winners, tour de france, weather conditions