10-member Indian team for World Table Tennis ChampionshipsFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 7:49 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 22 (IANS) Led by National Champion Achanta Sharath Kamal, a 10-member Indian team will participate in the World Table Tennis Championships to be held from Feb 24 to Mar 2 in Guangzhou, China. The Indian contingent - five men and five women - left Friday for the prestigious event.
Apart from Sharath Kamal, other members in the men’s section are Soumyadeep Roy, Subhajit Saha, Pathik Mehta and Anthony Amal Raj. The women players are Poulomi Ghatak, Mouma Das, Kasturi Chakroborty, Kumaresen Shamini and Neha Aggarwal.
The team will be accompanied by newly appointed foreign coach Aleksey Yefremov of Belarus.
“I am hopeful that we can put up a good show at the championships. Last year we finished 35th, but this year I am expecting to win the gold in the second division of the championships,” Sharath Kamal told IANS.
“We had a good 20-day training camp under a new foreign coach in Patiala before the World Championships, although I attended the camp three days ago as I was playing for the club championships in Spain.”
Sharah Kamal, who plays for Spanish second division club San Sabestian, said after the World Championships, the team would head straight to Hong Kong to participate in the Olympic qualifiers Mar 6-9.
India will bid to host the 2011 World Junior Championships at the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) annual general meeting to be held during the World Championships.
- Olympic-bound paddlers leave for exposure trip - Jun 06, 2012
- Sharath to spearhead Indian challenge in World TT Championships - May 05, 2011
- Sharath Kamal to lead India's challenge, CWG squad announced - Aug 30, 2010
- Indian contingent leaves for Asian TT Championships in Macau - Feb 21, 2012
- National TT: Sharath, Shamini start favourites - Jan 22, 2012
- Promising paddlers get a chance to qualify for London Olympics - Mar 20, 2012
- Sharath crashes out of World TT Championship - May 11, 2011
- Sanil, lone new face in table tennis squad for Asiad - Oct 21, 2010
- Sharath set to defend national title in Kolkata - Jan 13, 2011
- Indian men, women paddlers face tough challenge (TT preview) - Oct 03, 2010
- CWG schedule: Day eight of competitions - Oct 11, 2010
- Commonwealth Games: Singapore stand between India and TT gold - Sep 08, 2010
- Indian paddlers upbeat as they leave for Olympic qualifiers - Apr 16, 2012
- Easy draw for Sharath Kamal in TT Olympic qualifier - May 10, 2012
- National TT: Amalraj charged with unsporting behaviour after stunning Sharath - Jan 29, 2012
Tags: achanta sharath kamal, annual general meeting, five men, five women, guangzhou china, international table tennis federation, national champion, neha, olympic qualifiers, pathik, patiala, prestigious event, shamini, sharah, soumyadeep roy, table tennis championships, table tennis federation, women players, world junior championships, world table tennis championships