Zardari’s dual office case verdict will have far-reaching effects: LHCNovember 25th, 2010 - 5:19 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Nov 25 (ANI): A full bench of the Lahore High Court has postponed the hearing of petitions against President Asif Zardari over dual office issue for further arguments to December 13, saying that the case verdict would have an enduring impact.
“The dual office case will prove a landmark verdict and will have far-reaching effects on all such constitutional issues in the country,” the Daily Times quoted the bench, as saying.
It also appointed three senior constitutional experts as amicus curie (friend of court) to assist on this important matter pertaining to the eligibility of the President of Pakistan.
The bench allowed the petitioner counsel to amend his petition, which had been filed by AK Dogar of the Pakistan Lawyers Forum, Ghulam Jillani and Asif Mahmood Khan. Dogar advanced his arguments, saying that a head of state should not hold any political office as it was against the constitution and democratic norms.
Giving examples from the country’s history, Dogar said the founder of Pakistan, Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, had abandoned the presidency of the Muslim League after taking charge as Pakistan’s first Governor General. (ANI)
- Lahore HC reserves verdict in Zardari dual office case - Mar 10, 2011
- Lahore high court restrains Zardari from politics - May 12, 2011
- Plea to make Urdu Pakistan's official language dismissed - Oct 13, 2010
- PPP leaders pick Makhdoom Shahabuddin as new PM (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Jinnah's 62nd death anniversary observed in Pakistan - Sep 11, 2010
- Pak must be made 'Islamic welfare democratic State' as envisaged by Jinnah: Nizami - Feb 11, 2011
- Jihad against India only solution to Kashmir issue: Nazria Pakistan Trust - Mar 23, 2011
- Lahore High Court issues notice to Zardari over holding two offices - May 18, 2010
- Zardari omits critical US drone attack issue from presidential address - Mar 23, 2011
- Zardari vows to work for interfaith harmony on Easter - Apr 24, 2011
- Pakistan observes 63rd death anniversary of Mohammad Ali Jinnah - Sep 12, 2011
- Zardari can hold two offices simultaneously: Pak Punjab Governor - Jun 22, 2010
- Pak Govt to protect minorities at all costs: Zardari - Jan 21, 2011
- Lahore High Court forms special bench to hear Zardari's 'dual office' case - Oct 07, 2009
Tags: amicus curie, constitutional experts, constitutional issues, democratic norms, dogar, dual office, founder of pakistan, friend of court, ghulam, lahore high court, landmark verdict, lawyers forum, mahmood khan, muhammad ali, muhammad ali jinnah, muslim league, office case, president of pakistan, quaid e azam, zardari