Zardari to not sign pact with Swat militants unless peace is restoredFebruary 17th, 2009 - 12:56 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Feb 17 (ANI): Pakistani Information Minister Sherry Rehman has said that an agreement between a provincial government and an Islamic group to set up Islamic courts has not been signed by President Asif Ali Zardari yet.
Dawn News TV quoted Sherry Rehman as saying that President Zardari would not sign the agreement unless the peace was restored in the district.
The government will monitor the situation, as security and well-being of Swat is top priority, Rehman said in a statement following an agreement between the NWFP government and the TNSM
However, she said, The will of the population of the Swat should be taken into account while debating the merits of this agreement.
North West Frontier Province Chief Minister Ameer Haider Khan Hoti announced on Monday thaty Nizam e Adl Regulation 2009 for Malakand Division would be implemented as soon as peace was restored in Swat district.
According to the Regulation, Islamic courts would be set up in Malakand shortly, the Daily Times reported.
The regulation came into being as a result of a meeting between the provincial government and an Islamic group Tehreek-e-Nifaz e Shariat e Muhammadi (TNSM).
Hoti claimed at a news conference that the Regulation had been approved by President Asif Ali Zardari following the consultation with TNSM representatives. (ANI)
- Pak Army says situation in Swat unsatisfactory - Feb 17, 2009
- TNSMs deadline forces NWFP Govt to sign Nizam-e-Adl Regulation - Mar 10, 2009
- After Swat, TNSM vows to implement sharia law in other parts of Pakistan - Apr 14, 2009
- Sharia-deal with Taliban has full backing of Zardari, Gilani: Fazl - Feb 19, 2009
- Federal Shariat Court replaces Peshawar High Court for appeals (Lead, superseding previous story) - Feb 16, 2009
- Pakistan bows to Taliban, allows Shariat laws (Lead) - Feb 16, 2009
- Qazi courts start functioning in NWFP's Malakand region - Apr 14, 2009
- Gilani announces Swat package, to visit area - Apr 17, 2009
- Pakistan groups Taliban in Black, Grey and White categories - Mar 07, 2009
- Zardari signs sharia deal following National Assembly's green signal - Apr 14, 2009
- Pak to hold trials of TNSM-Taliban operatives next year - Dec 03, 2010
- Qazi judgments would be final and unchallengeable: Sufi Muhammad - Apr 16, 2009
- Pakistani journalist Mosa Khankhel killed in Swat (Second Lead) - Feb 18, 2009
- Sharia verdicts cannot be challenged in Supreme Court: cleric - Apr 16, 2009
- Taliban celebrate imposition of Shariat in Pakistan's northwest (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2009
Tags: adl, ameer, asif ali zardari, chief minister, dawn news, frontier province, haider khan, hoti, information minister, islamic courts, islamic group, news conference, news tv, nizam, north west frontier, province chief, provincial government, sherry rehman, swat district, top priority