Zardari to nominate PPP CM in PunjabFebruary 28th, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Feb. 28 (ANI): Pakistans Presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar has said that PPP parliamentarians from Punjab have unanimously decided to install a PPP Chief Minister in Punjab, and authorized party co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari to nominate a candidate for the slot.
The decision came on Friday during a meeting of PPP Punjab MNAs, MPAs, and senators, co-chaired by President Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani to discuss the Punjab situation, the Daily Time report.
Sources said, Qasim Zia, parliamentary leader in the Punjab Assembly, is the frontrunner for the top slot in Punjab. Tanvir Ashraf Qaira and Shah Mehmood Qureshi are also in the running.
President Zardari said the PPP had embarked on a course of reconciliation with sincere intentions and had not wanted confrontation with any political party.
Most participants advocated installing a PPP government in Punjab with support of the PML-Quaid and other parties.
Some members were critical of Prime Minister Gilani for having a soft corner for the Sharif brothers despite the latters negative attitude towards the PPP leadership, the sources added.
However, a press release issued by the party stated the meeting reposed complete confidence in Zardaris leadership. A unanimous resolution said the party stood solidly behind Zardari.
The meeting condemned Nawazs harsh language against Zardari, saying political differences should not be turned into personal animosity and vendetta.
Earlier, PPP Parliamentary Leader in Punjab Raja Riaz said the PPP would soon form its own government in the Punjab. (ANI)
- Ready to give up presidency: Zardari - Jan 11, 2012
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP candidate for PM's post (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Pakistan Peoples Party wants to advance Senate elections - Jan 06, 2012
- Pak parliamentarians want "insane" Musharraf "mentally examined"! - Oct 08, 2010
- Pak Punjab Assembly passes resolution against Musharraf - Oct 13, 2010
- Zardari-Gilani-Kayani trio vows to protect democratic system in Pak - Sep 28, 2010
- Bilawal to take up 'some political responsibility' in September: Zardari - Apr 28, 2011
- Zardari appoints Latif Khan Khosa as Punjab governor (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Zardari has not offered to resign: Spokesman (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Zardari convenes 'emergency meeting' of PPP Punjab ministers - Feb 25, 2011
- Zardari "solidly stands behind Gilani" against any attempt to destabilise Pak Govt - Jan 04, 2011
- Pakistan parliament to elect new PM June 22 (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- PPP brands Zardai-bashing Jang Group journalists 'Indian agents' - Oct 19, 2010
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: asif ali, babar, frontrunner, harsh language, mehmood, mpas, negative attitude, parliamentary leader, party co, personal animosity, political differences, ppp government, presidential spokesman, punjab, report sources, riaz, tanvir, top slot, unanimous resolution, yousuf