Zardari to attend trilateral summit in Tehran SundayMay 22nd, 2009 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 22 (IANS) Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari will attend a trilateral summit on regional peace and security also involving Iran and Afghanistan in Tehran Sunday, the foreign office said.
“President Zardari is going to Iran. He will attend the summit in Tehran on May 24,” APP news agency Friday quoted Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit as saying.
The summit will discuss the rebuilding of war-shattered Afghanistan and regional security issues, the spokesman added.
The summit, being hosted by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been rescheduled from its original May 19 date.
Afghanistan’s ambassador to Iran Mohammad Yahya Ma’aroufi confirmed Friday that President Hamid Karzai would attend the summit.
“President Hamid Karzai will arrive in Tehran on Sunday May 24 to take part in the meeting,” the envoy said.
The three presidents had met three months ago in Tehran for a regional economic summit. Iran had also attended a US-backed international conference on Afghanistan at The Hague on March 31.
Besides attending the summit, Zardari will separately meet with Ahmadinejad and Karzai to discuss bilateral issues.
- Will battle terror together: Zardari - Feb 17, 2012
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit - Feb 16, 2012
- Pakistan won't help US attack Iran: Zardari - Feb 17, 2012
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Pakistan denies military double game with Taliban - Feb 18, 2012
- PM heads for Tehran NAM summit, meeting with Ahmadinejad - Aug 25, 2012
- Putin to hold talks with Ahmadinejad - Jun 03, 2012
- Pakistan to work with neighbours for peace: Zardari - Nov 02, 2011
- Zardari arrives in Iran for regional summit - Mar 10, 2009
- Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan pledge to eliminate terrorism - May 25, 2009
- Krishna, in 'holding room', with Zardari at Beijing - Jun 06, 2012
- Obama 'briefly' meets Zardari - May 22, 2012
- PM heads to Tehran for NAM summit, Iran ties in focus (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran must work on a joint strategy: Zardari - May 24, 2009
- Zardari for Pak-Af-Iran front to ensure regional stability (Lead) - May 24, 2009
Tags: app news, asif ali zardari, basit, bilateral issues, economic summit, foreign office, hague, hamid karzai, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, islamabad, mahmoud ahmadinejad, mohammad, office spokesman, president hamid karzai, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, regional peace, regional security issues, tehran, yahya