Zardari signs women’s protection bill into lawJanuary 29th, 2010 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Jan 29 (IANS) Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari Friday signed into law a women’s protection bill that provides for three years imprisonment or a fine of Rs.500,000 or both for sexual harassment at the workplace.
The president signed the Protection against Harassment of Women at Workplace Bill at a ceremony held here attended by women parliamentarians and members of the Sindh assembly belonging to the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party.
Under the law, if a working woman complains about sexual harassment to her supervisor, a three-member committee would be formed to conduct an inquiry. The committee would then present its report to the concerned authorities for further action.
The use of intemperate language against women or teasing them would also be tantamount to violation of the law, Online news agency reported.
A woman can also lodge a complaint against anyone she feels threatened by.
The bill was unanimously passed by the National Assembly, the lower house of parliament, Jan 21, a day after the Senate passed the measure.
- Bill against sexual harassment at workplace introduced - Dec 07, 2010
- Cabinet clears bill against workplace sexual harassment (Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- Cabinet approves bill against sexual harassment at workplace - Nov 04, 2010
- Women MPs discuss matters relating to women - Mar 25, 2011
- Pak working women face rampant sexual harassment despite existence of law - Sep 20, 2010
- Pakistani nurses vulnerable to sexual harassment - Aug 05, 2012
- Pakistan passes pro-women bill - Nov 16, 2011
- Zardari signs bill against women harassment at workplace - Jan 30, 2010
- NGOs want protection of men in sexual harassment bill - Jul 17, 2010
- Pak working women still face rampant harassment despite protection bill - Jun 19, 2010
- Pak NA passes bill against sexual harassment of women at workplace - Jan 21, 2010
- Important bills for budget session (With Coalition hiccups come to the fore in parliament) - Apr 01, 2012
- 'False cases' blocking sexual harassment bill - Mar 24, 2010
- 'Include rehabilitation in children sexual offence bill' - Dec 21, 2011
- Bill against sexual harassment likely in parliament's monsoon session (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,