Zardari resisted US, Musharraf pressure to ally with PML(Q)February 22nd, 2008 - 2:48 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Feb.22 (ANI): Asif Ali Zardari is said to have rejected a suggestion from Washington that he establish a political alliance with the PML-Q and other pro-Musharraf forces.
According to The News, background interviews reveal that Zardari was offered governments at the Centre and in at least three of the four provinces if he distanced himself from the Nawaz Sharif-led Pakistan Muslim League (N).
However, he told those who approached him that he did not consider the Q-League a political entity.
Despite reservations of some of the PPP leaders from the Punjab against the N-League in the central executive committee of the party that met here in Islamabad on Wednesday, Zardari endorsed the idea of making a coalition government with the political parties like the PML-N, ANP, etc.
Although, Zardari did not talk of Washingtons pressures, sources in the party confirmed that the Americans had brought tremendous pressure on the PPP co-chairperson to make a coalition government with the likes of the PML-Q and MQM but not with the PML-N.
At the heart of the deal making is the issue of restoring sacked judges, a move demanded by Sharif. (ANI)
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Pakistan's ruling party, PML-Q try to corner Nawaz Sharif - Oct 27, 2010
- Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP candidate for PM's post (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Ready to give up presidency: Zardari - Jan 11, 2012
- Gilani may face snub if Presidential immunity issue comes to Pak NA - Sep 27, 2010
- Zardari convenes 'emergency meeting' of PPP Punjab ministers - Feb 25, 2011
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- PML-Q won't blackmail beleaguered PPP-led Pak coalition govt: Shujaat - Jan 04, 2011
- Shujaat meets Imran in quest of common ground in Pak Politics - Dec 26, 2010
- PML-N, MQM form alliance against Pakistan government - Jul 06, 2011
- PML-N decides to remove PPP ministers from Pak Punjab govt - Feb 23, 2011
- 'Sworn enemies' Musharraf, Sharif and Zardari are 'famous Facebook friends'! - Mar 19, 2011
- PML-N lashes out at Zardari-led govt over ever-increasing corruption, inflation - Nov 19, 2010
- Cracks widen in Pakistan's ruling coalition, key ally quits - Dec 21, 2010
- Zardari seeks unity of allies before US visit - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: anp, asif ali zardari, central executive committee, chairperson, coalition government, four provinces, governments, heart, islamabad, mqm, nawaz sharif, pakistan muslim league, pml n, political alliance, political entity, political parties, punjab, suggestion