Zardari calls for parliamentary session FridayJune 20th, 2012 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 20 (IANS) Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has summoned the National Assembly Friday, when, according to a senior aide, a new prime minister will be elected, reported The News Wednesday.
Zardari summoned the lower house of parliament to meet at 5.30 p.m. Friday, said the presidency.
The announcement came a day after the Supreme Court dismissed Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani for contempt, forcing Zardari into crisis talks to find a replacement.
Tuesday’s ruling came following the apex court’s April 26 verdict holding Gilani in contempt of court for refusing to write to the Swiss authorities to reopen corruption cases against Zardari.
According to media reports, Federal Minister for Textiles Makhdoom Shahabuddin and Minister for Water and Power Chaudhry Ahmad Mukhtar are strong contenders for the prime minister’s post.
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan prime ministerial hopeful Makhdoom Shahabuddin - a brief profile - Jun 20, 2012
- PPP leaders pick Makhdoom Shahabuddin as new PM (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- PPP accepts Gilani's disqualification verdict - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistan parliament to elect new PM June 22 (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Change in Pakistan won't affect talks: India - Jun 20, 2012
- Zardari fields Shahabuddin for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- India keeps watch, says change in Pakistan won't affect ties (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PM - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- Race for Pakistan PM: PPP drops Shahabuddin, names Ashraf (Evening Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Shahabuddin dropped, Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP's new PM hopeful (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt of court - Apr 26, 2012
- Zardari picks Shahabuddin as Pakistan PM - Jun 21, 2012
- Shahabuddin, Gilani's son face arrest (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: ahmad, apex, apex court, asif ali zardari, contempt of court, contenders, corruption cases, crisis talks, federal minister, gilani, house of parliament, islamabad, mukhtar, national assembly, new prime minister, parliamentary session, presidency, shahabuddin, swiss authorities, water and power