Zardari appoints Latif Khan Khosa as Punjab governor (Lead)January 12th, 2011 - 4:25 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 12 (IANS) Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari Tuesday night appointed Sardar Latif Khan Khosa as the new Punjab governor, a media report said.The president has signed a document regarding Khosa’s appointment Tuesday night, the Pakistan Times reported quoting Farhatullah Babar, the spokesman for the president.
Khosa, a senior leader of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), succeeds Salman Taseer who was assassinated last week. Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani had recommended Khosa’s name to the president.
Gilani and Khosa held an elaborate meeting Sunday, the same day he sent a summary to the president with recommendation for appointing Khosa as Punjab governor, the newspaper said. Zardari signed the document Tuesday.
Salman Taseer was gunned down by one of his security guards in a posh market in Islamabad Jan 4.
Guard Mumtaz Quadri, who surrendered after the attack, said he killed the official for opposing blasphemy laws.
Meanwhile, the PML-N party (Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz) has welcomed the government’s decision to appoint Khosa as Punjab governor, the Online news agency reported.
PML-N information secretary Ahsan Iqbal said that the appointment of the governor was purely the prerogative of the Federal government.
- Zardari appoints Latif Khan Khosa as Punjab governor - Jan 12, 2011
- Latif Khosa offers cooperation to PML-N through reconciliation process - Jan 15, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani assure recovery of Taseer - Aug 27, 2011
- Zardari likely to appoint former AG Latif Khosa as Punjab Governor - Jan 09, 2011
- Blasphemy laws should remain intact in Pakistan: PPP leader - Jan 11, 2011
- Pakistan considering US guards for Zardari - Jan 19, 2011
- Body of Pakistani governor laid to rest (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Five held in Taseer kidnapping case in Pakistan - Aug 28, 2011
- Punjab governor, critic of Islamist militancy, killed by guard (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Taseer's assassin guarded Zardari, Gilani even after being declared security risk: Report - Jan 13, 2011
- Police complaint filed in Taseer killing case - Jan 05, 2011
- Sherry Rehman appointed Pakistan's envoy to US - Nov 23, 2011
- PPP divided over judicial inquiry in Taseer killing - Jan 15, 2011
- Three-day mourning in Pakistan for Punjab governor - Jan 04, 2011
- Governor Taseer's assassin produced before terrorism court - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: ahsan, asif ali zardari, blasphemy laws, gilani, information secretary, iqbal, khosa, latif khan, mumtaz, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, pakistan peoples party, pakistan times, pml n, prerogative, quadri, raza, salman taseer, security guards, yousuf