Zardari appoints 16 own political cadre judges to Lahore High CourtFebruary 28th, 2009 - 3:32 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Feb. 28 (ANI): Pakistans President Asif Ali Zardari has appointed 16 Additional Judges to the Lahore High Court, all of whom are alleged to be from his own political cadre.
Speaking about the new appointments, a High Court source said Zardari should not have appointed all the people from his own political cadre by ignoring other sections of the bars altogether. The government could have made better choices.
Seven Deputy Attorney Generals and five standing counsels have also been appointed to represent the federal government before the courts, the Dawn reports.
One of the appointed judge, Pervez Ali Chawla was acting as registrar of the LHC before his elevation as the judge of the high court.
Similarly, Syed Ihtasham Qadir Shah is the son of Advocate Ehsan Qadir Shah who appeared as a counsel of late Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto.
Irfan Qadir had appeared as counsel of Tikka Mohammad Iqbal, on the petition of whom the Supreme Court had validated the November 3, 2007 proclamation of emergency by former President Pervez Musharraf.
Meanwhile, Sardar Ghazi, who was appointed by the government as prosecutor for the trial of the suspects arrested from Pakistan in connection with the Mumbai attack, has been removed from the post of DAG.
Soon after his appointment, he had told media that the government had requested India for the physical custody of lone surviving terrorist, Ajmal Qasab. (ANI)
- Zardari appoints 16 Additional Judges to Lahore High Court - Feb 28, 2009
- Lahore HC allows Pak Law Ministry to go through Zulfikar Bhutto case record - Apr 05, 2011
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- Musharraf can't claim constitutional immunity in Benazir assassination case: Pak jurists - Feb 16, 2011
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Lahore HC rejects application seeking Musharraf treason case adjournment - Mar 26, 2011
- Lahore Court postpones hearing of petitions against Musharraf to Nov 1 - Oct 19, 2010
- Zardari proposes to reappoint Deedar Shah as NAB Chairman - Mar 12, 2011
- Pakistani PM gets two weeks to write to Swiss powers - Jul 25, 2012
- Supreme Court warns Gilani of another contempt notice - Mar 29, 2012
- Petition filed in LHC for Musharraf's high treason trial - Apr 24, 2010
- Pak opposition locks horns with Zardari over reappointment of 'annulled' NAB chief - Mar 22, 2011
- Few Pakistan high court judges denotified - Aug 08, 2011
- Gilani joins government-apex court confrontation - Sep 07, 2010
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: advocate, ajmal, ali bhutto, appointments, attorney generals, dawn, deputy attorney, elevation, federal government, former president, ghazi, irfan, lhc, mohammad iqbal, pervez musharraf, petition, physical custody, prime minister, prosecutor, qadir shah