Zardari announces cash awards for triumphant Pak teamJune 22nd, 2009 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, June 22 (ANI): Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has announced awards for the country’s victorious cricket team, which beat Sri Lanka in the finals of the Twenty20 Cricket World Cup at Lords’.
Zardari announced awards of 1 million rupees each for Pakistan captain Younis Khan and man of the match Shahid Afridi, and Rs 500,000 each for the rest of the players from the president’s discretionary fund, the Daily Times reports.
In his messages to the captain and manager of the national cricket team, Zardari termed the victory as one of the most magnificent moments in the history of national cricket.
Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani also felicitated the cricket team by calling Younis Khan to congratulate him and the team on their splendid performance.
Meanwhile, Pakistanis across the globe celebrated team’s victory over Sri Lanka in their own way.
Restaurants and community centres in New York, which had made special arrangements for the finals, served free food and tea to Pakistanis who came to watch the match.
Jubilant Pakistanis chanted slogans of “Pakistan zindabad” as Shahid Afridi’s unbeaten 54-runs innings steered Pakistan to the title.
Pakistanis in London celebrated the victory in typical Pakistani style by dancing to the beat of drums and distributing sweets. (ANI)
- It will be India's batting vs Pakistan's bowling (Preview) - Mar 29, 2011
- Pakistan elect to bat against Sri Lanka - Feb 26, 2011
- Asia Cup: Bangladesh opt to field against Pakistan - Mar 22, 2012
- Pakistan jubilant over winning Asia Cup - Mar 23, 2012
- Akram backs Afridi's 'Pak should not play WC quarterfinal in India' statement - Mar 04, 2011
- India bat against Pakistan in World Cup semifinal - Mar 30, 2011
- India pin hopes on batsmen, Pakistan on bowlers (Roundup) - Mar 29, 2011
- Lahore HC moved against Pak cricket team on match-fixing charges in WC semi-final - Mar 31, 2011
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
- Pak hoping to meet India in 2011 WC finals: Afridi - Feb 12, 2011
- Mohali match improved Pakistan-Indian ties: Gilani - Apr 12, 2011
- Low skill, high pressure at India-Pakistan cricket: Pakistani daily - Mar 31, 2011
- Zimbabwe elect to bat against Pakistan - Mar 14, 2011
- Kohli stars in India's record ODI chase against Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2012
- World Cup: Pakistan make slow start against Kenya - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: asif ali zardari, cash awards, community centres, cricket pakistan, cricket world cup, discretionary fund, free food, national cricket team, pak team, pakistan captain, pakistan zindabad, pakistanis, rs 500, rupees, shahid afridi, slogans, splendid performance, twenty20 cricket world cup, younis khan, yousuf