World’s oldest mum is critical post giving birthJune 14th, 2010 - 12:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 14 (ANI): The world’s oldest mother may well be on her deathbed, just months after giving birth to a baby girl.
Rajo Devi Lohan, 72, though too weak from complications after her controversial IVF pregnancy, is still the happiest mother in the world.
“I dreamed about having a child all my life. It does not matter to me that I am ill, because at least I lived long enough to become a mother,” The Sun quoted Lohan as saying.
Rajo Devi is bedridden, too weak to speak or even lift the little girl after giving birth to her at 70.
She and her husband are uneducated farmers who did not realize the risks of having a baby at such an old age.
“The doctor never warned me it was dangerous to have a baby at my age. But I was healthy before, and now I am very sick,” she admitted.
After the Caesarean birth, Lohan suffered severe internal bleeding when her womb ruptured, and had to undergo another surgery to remove an orange-sized cyst on one ovary - the two operations have left her body too torn to recover.
Added to that, she ignored the doctors’ advice to take bed rest.
Now, her sister Omi looks after her little girl, Naveen who is 18 months old.
The couple is not worried about the girl, as they know their relatives will take care of her.
The doctor, Anurag Bishnoi, who treated Lohan, has said that her problems are unrelated to giving birth at such an old age.
“Even though Rajo’s health is deteriorating, at least she will die in peace. She does not have to face the stigma of being barren,” he said.
Peter Bowen-Simpkins, medical director of London Women’s Clinic, said: “Any woman over 70 putting their body through the rigours of birth is endangering themselves.” (ANI)
- Seventy-year-old mother celebrates daughter's first birthday - Nov 27, 2009
- Tunisian woman due to deliver 12 babies tagged 'a fraud' - Aug 19, 2009
- 'Miracle' Tunisian woman expecting record-breaking 12 babies - Aug 18, 2009
- 66-year-old gives birth to triplets in Haryana - Jun 13, 2010
- 4-day-old baby survives after complex surgery - Dec 13, 2011
- World's oldest mother celebrates her child's first birthday - Nov 28, 2009
- 16 years after son died, child born to elerly Haryana couple - Feb 29, 2012
- World''s oldest mum, Rajo Devi, 70, wants to have second child - Dec 31, 2008
- Identical twins give birth on the same day - Oct 24, 2011
- Donna Kelly was lying upside down for months to save her baby - Dec 21, 2011
- Mom cuts son's penis because she wanted a girl - Jan 17, 2012
- Bonham Carter wore nappies on 'Harry Potter' sets - Apr 24, 2012
- A dai steps toward ensuring safe motherhood in Rajasthan (With images) - May 01, 2012
- Brit woman's 'cyst' was actually a baby boy - Dec 04, 2010
- Baby born on Philippine Airlines flight has no nationality - Sep 23, 2011
Tags: baby girl, bed rest, bishnoi, caesarean birth, cyst on, deathbed, giving birth, having a baby, june 14, little girl, london women, medical director, naveen, oldest mother, omi, ovary, peter bowen, simpkins, stigma, womb