Won’t support coup, opposed to any military action: Imran (Lead)January 12th, 2012 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 12 (IANS) As a stand-off between the political leadership and the army lingered on Thursday, cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan reiterated his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party will not support a military coup.
Imran’s remark came a day after rumours swirled in the country of a military takeover following Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani dismissing defence secretary Lt. Gen. (retd) Naeem Khalid Lodhi.
The former cricketer said in Lahore that any unconstitutional way would not be tolerated, Geo News reported.
In another interview with Times Now channel, Imran, who is widely perceived as the new blue eyed boy of the army establishment, said he was “completely against military action”.
“Well, you know I am a politician, I am completely against all sorts of military solutions. I have always believed that the military solutions are counterproductive.”
“Military action is military action, shedding blood I disagree with it. It has never solved humanity’s problems,” he said.
“Here you see, the US, which has the most powerful military machine in the history of the mankind, stuck in Afghanistan and it is also debatable whether they have got a long lasting solution in Iraq,” Imran noted,
“Look at the number of people dead, look at the cost over a trillion dollars, the human cost, the cost to the economy of Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan through this insanity, and look what they have gained,” the former Pakistan cricket captain said.
- Won't support any coup, says Imran Khan - Jan 12, 2012
- Imran fears suicide attacks if NATO supply resumes - Apr 14, 2012
- Ten injured in grenade attack at Imran's rally - Feb 10, 2012
- Hindu doctors' murder a sad day for Pakistan: Imran Khan - Nov 11, 2011
- Zardari leaves a tense Pakistan for a day in Dubai (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- ISI calls the shots in Pakistan: Imran Khan - Nov 14, 2011
- Convicted Gilani must quit, says opposition - Apr 26, 2012
- Allegations against CJI aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran - Jun 14, 2012
- Allegations against Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistan has lost dignity, self-esteem following US' Osama operation: Imran Khan - May 03, 2011
- Gilani sacks defence secretary, takes on army (Intro Night Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Gilani sacks Defence Secretary, takes on army (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Pakistan's ex-foreign minister joins Imran's party - Nov 28, 2011
- Cut aid to Pakistan: Imran urges Britain - Sep 26, 2011
- Days of landlords are numbered in Pakistan: Imran Khan - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: blue eyed boy, cricket captain, cricketer, defence secretary, economy of iraq, geo news, gilani, khalid, lahore, military action, military coup, military machine, military takeover, pakistan cricket, pakistan tehreek e insaf, political leadership, politician imran khan, pti, shedding blood, tehreek e insaf