Women, vendors thrashed by Taliban in SwatMarch 30th, 2009 - 8:03 pm ICT by ANI
Mingora (Pakistan), Mar.30 (ANI): Several women and roadside vendors were lashed and pistol butted in Cheena Bazar here by some unknown persons claiming to be Taliban.
The Taliban, however, denied involvement in the suppressive activity, saying the mischievous act was carried out by dissident elements who wanted to bring a bad name to the group, and derail the peace process in the Swat Valley.
Talking to media persons, Taliban’s Swat Chapter spokesperson, Haji Muslim Khan said the elements behind the incident would soon be brought to book.
Replying to queries on Taliban being against female education, Khan said: “There is no ban on women education. They could attend their schools in veils, as Islam is not against female education, rather it is obscenity and vulgarity which is prohibited in Islam.”
Furthermore, he said the main objective of the Taliban was to implement Islamic laws in the Swat Valley regardless of the fact that President Asif Ali Zardari signs the peace deal or not.
“If Zardari is interested in peace and Islam, he must sign the accord,” Khan added. (ANI)
- Women's group protests in Kashmir over Assam, Myanmar - Aug 17, 2012
- Swat women still afraid to go out and shop - Mar 17, 2009
- Taliban leader surrounded in Swat: Pakistan - Sep 13, 2009
- Pakistani troops battle Taliban as residents flee Swat - May 06, 2009
- Sufi Mohammad meets Taliban leader Fazlulla chief to discuss sharia-deal - Feb 19, 2009
- Pak woman publicly flogged by Taliban yet to get over her horror and humiliation - Dec 07, 2010
- Taliban refuse to give up arms in Swat Valley (Lead) - Apr 15, 2009
- Taliban prepared to withdraw ban on girls' education in Afghanistan: Education Minister - Jan 14, 2011
- Pak Taliban stop 7 army trucks from entering Swat stronghold - Apr 25, 2009
- Taliban bans women from entering NWFP shopping centers - Mar 30, 2009
- Taliban ask NGOs to get out from Swat - Mar 23, 2009
- Kayani promises jobs for former Taliban fighters in Pak - Dec 22, 2010
- 37 killed as Pakistan Army battles Taliban in Swat (Lead) - May 06, 2009
- Harassment and obscenity in times of a people's movement - Aug 18, 2011
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Dec 03, 2009
Tags: asif ali zardari, female education, islam, islamic laws, main objective, media persons, muslim, obscenity, peace deal, peace process, pistol, queries, roadside vendors, spokesperson, suppressive activity, swat valley, taliban, veils, vulgarity, women education