Woman British aid worker rescued in AfghanistanJune 2nd, 2012 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 2 (IANS) British troops in Afghanistan managed to save a 28-year-old woman British aid worker along with three others in Afghanistan Saturday. She was kidnapped May 22.
Prime Minister David Cameron described the raid as “extraordinarily brave” and “breath-taking” after Helen Johnston was freed in the morning by the country’s special forces, The Sun reported.
Cameron personally authorised the operation to liberate Johnston from a cave Friday afternoon over rising fears for her safety.
A number of British Special Air Service (SAS) troops were reportedly involved in the operation, the report said.
Johnston was freed along with three other hostages in an early morning mission.
The prime minister confirmed all four hostages, including Kenyan Moragwe Oirer and two Afghan civilians, were safe.
In a statement, Johnston’s family said: “We are delighted and hugely relieved by the wonderful news that Helen and all her colleagues have been freed.”
- British troops to stay in Afghanistan after 2014 - May 20, 2012
- Terror drill at London Olympics village - May 11, 2011
- New Zealand extends special forces deployment to Afghanistan - Feb 02, 2011
- Cameron visits British troops in Afghanistan - Dec 20, 2011
- Kylie Minogue's Christmas wishes for Brit troops in Afghanistan - Dec 23, 2010
- UK-France to unveil new military co-operation treaty - Nov 02, 2010
- Britain, Afghanistan sign partnership agreement - Jan 29, 2012
- 3,200 Taliban killed in Afghanistan in 90 days - Dec 01, 2010
- Al Qaeda may return after Afghan pullout, British PM warned - Aug 05, 2012
- 'New Zealand special forces to leave Afghanistan in March' - Dec 22, 2011
- 'Parachute buggies', Brit Army's latest surprise weapon against Taliban in Afghanistan - Sep 28, 2010
- David Walliams to meet British PM - Mar 28, 2012
- Brit Special Air Service, US Navy SEAL units take out top 50 Taliban commanders - Feb 11, 2010
- Two Britons planned US raid on Osama's hideout - May 08, 2011
- British commandos on alert amid Mumbai-like attack fears - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: aid worker, british special air service, british troops, civilians, colleagues, david cameron, fears, friday afternoon, hostages, london, minister david, old woman, prime minister, sas troops, special air service, special forces, sun, troops in afghanistan, wonderful news