Water dispute with India may threaten peace talks: PakistanOctober 13th, 2008 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 13 (DPA) Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari warned that any breach of a river water-sharing treaty by India will be detrimental to the peace process between the nuclear-armed neighbours, media reports said Monday.The statement came two days after Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh inaugurated the 450-megawatt Baglihar hydroelectric project over the Chenab River that flows from Kashmir valley of Jammu and Kashmir state into Pakistan.
“Pakistan would be paying a very high price for India’s move to block Pakistan’s water supply from the Chenab River,” Zardari said Sunday in a statement released through the state-run Associated Press of Pakistan newswire.
Indian National Security Adviser M K Narayanan told the NDTV news channel in an interview aired on the same day that Chenab water would not be blocked as “India does not want a conflict on the issue.”
Zardari said Singh also assured him during their recent meeting in New York that India was “seriously committed” to the water-sharing treaty. He said Pakistan expected Singh to stand by his commitment.
“India should not trade off important regional objectives for short-term domestic goals,” the Pakistani president noted.
He warned that violation of the Indus Water Treaty, brokered by the World Bank in 1960, would strain bilateral ties the two countries had built over the years.
Zardari’s statement came days ahead of the scheduled visit of Pakistan’s Indus Water Commissioner Jamaat Ali Shah to India, for talks over compensation for shortage of 200,000 acre-feet of water in September when Chenab water was allegedly blocked by India to fill the Baglihar dam reservoir.
- India, Pakistan commissioners on Indus water meet in Delhi - May 31, 2010
- India-Pakistan water dispute escalates power project costs - Nov 18, 2010
- Pakistani team inspects artificial lake site in Jammu - Feb 20, 2011
- Pak moves International Court of Arbitration to resolve Kishanganga dispute with India - Oct 09, 2010
- Pakistan team visiting Jammu Sunday - Feb 19, 2011
- Kashmir hydro project faces delay due to Pakistan (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Pakistan team to visit Jammu Sunday (Lead) - Feb 19, 2011
- Pakistan team to assess Jammu lake project - Feb 04, 2011
- Pakistan team to visit Baglihar dam on Monday - Oct 19, 2008
- Pakistan team to visit Baglihar dam today - Oct 20, 2008
- Zardari says he discussed Indus Basin Water Treaty issue with Manmohan Singh - Aug 09, 2009
- India,Pakistan to discuss Chenab water controversy next week - Oct 16, 2008
- India, Pakistan begin talks on Chenab row - Oct 23, 2008
- Pak calls India's Kishanganga Dam clear violation of Indus Waters treaty - Nov 12, 2010
- Tulbul project: India to provide more data to Pakistan - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, chenab river, indian prime minister manmohan singh, indus water treaty, jamaat ali shah, manmohan singh, national security adviser, ndtv news channel, pakistan islamabad, prime minister manmohan singh