Washington hosts first South Asian film festivalJune 4th, 2012 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 4 (IANS) The curtain came down on the first annual DC South Asian Film Festival (DCSAFF) with the screening of Dev Anand’s “Hum Dono”, fully restored in colour.
Attended by a host of celebrities from the Indian film industry, the June 1-3 festival sponsored by Ceasar Productions kicked off with an exclusive opening night red carpet gala featuring Shyam Benegal’s classic film, “Mammo”.
Saturday night’s highlight was Deepti Naval’s directorial debut, “Do Paise ki Dhoop, Chaar Aane ki Baarish”.
Other highlights of the weekend included a Shyam Bengal retrospective, acting and filmmaking workshops, short films directed by local artists, and the Washington, DC premiere of Indian American filmmaker Manan Singh Katohora’s Bollywood style thriller, “9 Eleven”.
Besides Benegal others attending the festival included Ketan Mehta, Manisha Koirala, Rajit Kapur, and Suneil Anand.
- First South Asian film fest concludes in Washington (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- First South Asian film festival in Washington next month - May 08, 2012
- English theatre is waning: Rajit Kapoor - Nov 08, 2011
- Deepti Naval finds nothing wrong with remakes - Dec 09, 2011
- Interesting roles dried up, they're coming now: Deepti Naval (Interview) - May 20, 2011
- Kareena, Bhandarkar at the New York Indian Film Festival - May 08, 2012
- Manisha Koirala To Buy Dream Home In Paris - Sep 04, 2010
- My priorities have changed after marriage: Manisha Koirala - Sep 04, 2010
- Shabana, Deepti remember Jagmohan Mundhra - Sep 07, 2011
- Manisha returns to films - Nov 05, 2009
- Deepti Naval turns Bengali film into Hindi - Mar 26, 2011
- Deepti Naval's directorial debut premieres in Cannes - May 22, 2009
- Manisha Koirala To Tie Knot With Nepali Businessman - May 26, 2010
- Deepti Naval turns director, ropes in Manisha Koirala - Sep 16, 2008
- Bollywood stokes curiosity with unusual film titles - Apr 10, 2009
Tags: american filmmaker, asian film festival, bengal, chaar, classic film, dc premiere, deepti naval, dev anand, directorial debut, filmmaking workshops, indian film industry, ketan mehta, local artists, manan, manisha koirala, red carpet, retrospective, short films, shyam benegal, south asian film