Voting for new Nepal PM todayJuly 21st, 2010 - 1:08 pm ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, July 21 (ANI): The voting process for electing a new Nepal Prime Minister will take place on Wednesday.
The race for the prime minister’s post will be between the big three leaders of the major three parties.
UCPN (Maoist) Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal alias Prachanda, Nepali Congress (NC) Parliamentary Party Leader Ram Chandra Poudel and CPN-UML Chairman Jhala Nath Khanal have filed their papers.
Poudel was proposed by Sher Bahadur Deuba and seconded by Kul Bahadur Gurung and Bimalendra Nidhi, Prachanda was proposed by Dr. Baburam Bhattarai and seconded by Narayan Kaji Shrestha and Khanal was proposed by Madhav Kumar Nepal and seconded by Bishnu Poudel, according to the Legislature-Parliament Secretariat.
According to general secretary in the parliament secretariat Manohar Prasad Bhattarai, the election process will begin with deliberations on all three motions.
After the deliberations, Speaker of House Subas Chandra Nemwang will allot time for withdrawing the motions.
Only the lawmakers who have registered the motions, and not the candidates who have been proposed, can withdraw the candidacy to the post of PM.
If two of the motions are withdrawn leaving a single motion, the Speaker will announce the concerned candidate as elected to the post of Prime Minister.
If the motions are not withdrawn, the Speaker will present the motion one by one at the parliament for decision.
The motion registered first at the parliament will be presented for decision at the House first.
If over 50 percent of the lawmakers present at the House vote for the candidate, the Speaker will announce the candidate elected to the post of the Prime Minister. The other motions will be automatically diffused.
If the first candidate does not secure a majority, the House will move on to the second motion and repeat the process.
If none of the motions get approved, the parliament secretariat will fix a date for the second phase of election, Nepalnews reported. (ANI)
- Communist victory likely as Nepal holds PM poll - Feb 03, 2011
- Jhalanath Khanal elected new Prime Minister of Nepal - Feb 04, 2011
- Communists choose PM candidate, Maoists still dithering - Jul 20, 2010
- Battle hots up for Nepal PM's post - Aug 16, 2011
- Nepal PM to quit Saturday - Aug 10, 2011
- Ballot battle in Nepal parliament Sunday for new PM - Aug 25, 2011
- Nepal president wants new government by Sunday - Aug 15, 2011
- Prachanda throws his hat in Nepal ring (Lead) - Jul 20, 2010
- Maoists return to power in Nepal - Aug 28, 2011
- Nepal remains lost in poll labyrinth - Sep 26, 2010
- Nepal PM race ends in fiasco, Maoists get thumbs-down (Third Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- New Indian envoy's arrival in Nepal delayed - Aug 10, 2011
- Nepal parties riven with dissent ahead of 17th PM poll - Jan 12, 2011
- Death threat exposes chasm among Nepal Maoists - May 17, 2011
- Nepal election stalemate, a setback for Maoists - Jul 22, 2010
Tags: cpn, dahal, deliberations, general secretary, gurung, kaji, kamal, manohar, maoist, narayan, nath, nepali congress, nepalnews, nidhi, parliament secretariat, parliamentary party, party leader, prasad bhattarai, ram chandra, shrestha