Villepin backs ‘France-Pak arms deal kickbacks’ claims against SarkozyNovember 26th, 2010 - 6:26 pm ICT by ANI
Paris, Nov 26 (ANI): Former French premier Dominique de Villepin said that he had “very strong suspicions” that French officials had received illegal payments related to arms deals for Pakistan in 1995.
Villepin made his statement Paris superior court as a witness on Thursday
The hearing, which lasted several hours, was chaired by Judge Renaud van Ruymbeke, who had decided in October to investigate the allegations of kickbacks in a submarine contract between France and Pakistan related to the deadly bombing, The Nation reports.
Witnesses have alleged the bombing was a revenge for the cancelling of kickbacks paid to officials in the arms deals, in a complex case linked to alleged illegal political funding, and implicating French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
Villepin was the Chief of Staff to then President Jacques Chirac, who cancelled the commissions after he took office in 1995 because he suspected they would lead to kickbacks to his political rival Edouard Balladur, the paper said.
Villepin is also Sarkozy’s bitterest political rival and likely to run against him for president in 2012, it added.
Witnesses have also alleged that Sarkozy, the Budget Minister at the time of the arms deal and Balladur’s campaign spokesman, was linked to the commissions. Sarkozy, however, has dismissed the talks of his involvement as a “fairy tale” and denies any knowledge of kickbacks.
Last week, the victims’ families had filed a civil suit against former French president Jacques Chirac on the charge of ” manslaughter.”
Recent investigations indicated that the stop of kickbacks payment ordered by then president Chirac was probably the fuse triggering the revenge action from benefit takers of the contract.
Fourteen people, including eleven French engineers working for DCNS in Karachi to implement a France-Pakistan contract of building submarines, were killed in a suicide bombing against their bus in May 2002. (ANI)
- Former minister confirms unholy France-Pak arms sale kickbacks deal - Nov 18, 2010
- 'Kickbacks and killings' arms deal scandal back to haunt Sarkozy, Zardari? - Oct 08, 2010
- Zardari took 'massive secret commissions' for securing French submarine deal: Report - Jan 15, 2011
- Zardari benefited in French submarine deal? - Jan 15, 2011
- French magistrate to probe arms deal kickback with Pakistan - Oct 07, 2010
- Sarkozy accused of being involved in 1990s political funding scandal - Feb 06, 2010
- Pakistan terror attack probe links Sarkozy to corruption - Jun 04, 2010
- Former DGNI offers to spill the beans on France-Pak arms deal kickbacks case - Nov 20, 2010
- Sarkozy calls journalist 'paedophile' over 'Karachigate' allegation - Nov 23, 2010
- 2002 Karachi attack on French engineers contributed to further suicide blasts in Pak? - Nov 20, 2010
- Former French president Chirac on trial for corruption - Mar 07, 2011
- Did Sarkozy fund '95 Presidential campaign with Pak submarine deal kickbacks? - Jun 03, 2010
- Chirac's lawyers to seek postponement of fraud trial on grounds of Alzheimer's - Jan 31, 2011
- Chirac could face 10-yr prison term if convicted for embezzlement - Sep 22, 2010
- French ex-president Chirac found guilty of corruption - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,