Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reservedJanuary 27th, 2011 - 6:13 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Jan 27(ANI): Pakistan’s Supreme Court has reserved its verdict in the contempt charges against superior court judges for taking oath under the Provisional Constitution Order (PCO).
A four-judge bench was hearing into the ‘contempt of court’ cases against former SC Chief Justice (retd) Abdul Hameed Dogar, former Lahore High Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Hussain Chaudhry and eight sitting judges, the Dawn reports.
They are facing ‘contempt of court’ charges for taking oath under the PCO in defiance of a restraining order issued by a seven-judge bench on November 3, 2007, moments after the proclamation of emergency by former president Pervez Musharraf.
After the defence lawyers concluded their arguments, the court reserved its verdict on initiating proceedings against PCO judges and issuing contempt notices to generals involved in the implementation of the November 3 emergency.
The court also reserved its decision on employing the assistance of the Pakistan Bar Council (PBC) and presidents of the provincial bar associations in contempt proceedings. (ANI)
- Pak Supreme Court directs sitting PCO judges 'not to issue any judicial orders' - Feb 18, 2011
- Pak Chief Justice to decide if Musharraf should be prosecuted for defying SC order - Feb 03, 2011
- Pak Supreme Court dismisses PCO judges case objections - Dec 13, 2010
- Pak SC approached to 'hang' Musharraf for subversion of Constitution - Jan 21, 2011
- Pakistani chief justice withdraws from emergency era case - Oct 30, 2009
- Gilani reaches Supreme Court - Apr 26, 2012
- Review sought of Pakistani Supreme Court's verdict on emergency - Oct 29, 2009
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistan apex court raps government over NRO case - Jan 10, 2012
- Contempt case: SC to decide Gilani's fate Thursday (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Pakistani PM faces possibility of disqualification: court - May 09, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, gets symbolic sentence (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PM - Jun 20, 2012
- Lawyer questioned for criticising Shivani case judge (Lead) - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: bar associations, chaudhry, chief justice, contempt charges, contempt of court, contempt of court charges, contempt proceedings, court cases, defence lawyers, defiance, former president, hameed, hussain, lahore high court, pbc, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, provisional constitution, restraining order, superior court judges