US to provide Pak two advanced P-3C Orion naval surveillance aircraftsApril 30th, 2010 - 2:00 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr.30 (ANI): The United States would be providing two upgraded P-3C Orion surveillance aircrafts to Pakistan to boost its maritime security capabilities.
Pakistan is due to get seven of these reconnaissance aircrafts, out of which the first three would be handed over to it during a ceremony in Jacksonville, Florida, a spokesperson for the Pakistan Embassy in Washington said.
The spokesperson underlined that the acquisition of the latest aircraft reflects the growing cooperation between the US and Pakistani navies.
Pakistan currently commands the Combined Task Force (CTF) 150, and the US aims to strengthen its maritime capability so that it can effectively protect the vast sea-lanes, which come under the Coalition Maritime Campaign Plan.
The Coalition Maritime Campaign Plan stretches from Strait of Hormuz to the Red Sea, covering 2.4 million sq miles and bordering 14 nations along the Gulf of Oman, Arabian Sea, Horn of Africa and Red Sea, The Daily Times reports.
Pakistan is also acquiring 30-year old US frigate USS McInerney ‘free of cost’ under the foreign military funding. (ANI)
- Pak Navy planning massive overhaul, new acquisitions to counter terror challenges - Apr 23, 2010
- Indo-US naval wargames begin in Arabian Sea - Apr 23, 2010
- Pak to get 30-yr-old 65 mln dollar US warship 'free of cost' - Apr 27, 2010
- Singapore takes over counter-piracy maritime task force from Pakistan - Apr 01, 2011
- Pakistan inks deal for US guided-missile frigate - Apr 21, 2010
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- US Navy rescues 13 Iranians from Somali pirates - Jan 07, 2012
- US warship, Japanese oil tanker collide in Gulf - Aug 12, 2012
- Pak to acquire US warship for 65-mln dollars - Apr 21, 2010
- Indian, US navies begin annual exercise in Arabian Sea - Apr 23, 2010
- Pak Navy to acquire 30 year old US frigate for 78 million dollars - Mar 05, 2010
- Pakistan gets US guided missile frigate for $65 mn (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
- Iran launches 10-day naval exercise - Dec 24, 2011
- Indo-French naval wargames to begin in Arabian Sea - Jan 06, 2011
- Pakistan gets two surveillance planes from US - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: arabian sea, campaign plan, capability, embassy in washington, force ctf, frigate, gulf of oman, horn of africa, jacksonville florida, maritime security, navies, pakistan embassy in washington, reconnaissance, red sea, sea lanes, security capabilities, spokesperson, sq miles, strait of hormuz, uss mcinerney