US, Sri Lanka call for stronger defence tiesAugust 15th, 2012 - 11:53 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 15 (IANS) The time has come for Sri Lanka and the US to build military relations on a stronger footing.
This was the outcome of a meeting here Monday between Vikram Singh, the new US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for South and Southeast Asia, and Jaliya Wickramasuriya, Sri Lanka’s ambassador to the US.
Wickramasuriya and Singh concurred that relations between two countries had deepened and grown across a broad range of areas including in the sphere of military cooperation over the years.
“It was agreed that the time is opportune to build US-Sri Lanka defense relations on a stronger footing,” a statement from the Sri Lankan embassy here said.
The envoy briefed Singh on Sri Lanka’s post-conflict security concerns and recent economic and political developments.
“Singh (said) the two countries can work together as partners sharing common security aims,” the statement said.
“Enhanced cooperation in countering terrorism and piracy, disaster response and humanitarian assistance, coordinated efforts towards securing free trade and commerce and sea lines of communications would be mutually beneficial to the two countries,” it said.
- US Congress members back Sri Lanka - Apr 19, 2011
- Sri Lanka woos Hollywood - Sep 19, 2010
- Sri Lanka, China seek to strengthen military ties - Sep 01, 2012
- India, US to assist Sri Lanka military - Jun 05, 2012
- 'India-South Korea defence relations won't impact China ties' - Mar 25, 2012
- India non-committal on 'war crimes', studying 'sentiments'(Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- US businessmen to meet in Sri Lanka - Oct 01, 2010
- India non-committal on Sri Lanka 'war crimes' (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
- Indian Ocean Rim grouping to jointly combat piracy menace (Lead) - Nov 15, 2011
- US special forces helping India to contain LeT - Mar 02, 2012
- US donates equipment to Sri Lanka Air Force (With Images) - Aug 23, 2010
- 'China, India military exchanges back on track' - Sep 03, 2012
- Antony leaves for Japan to further defence relations - Nov 01, 2011
- Asian coast guard chiefs to discuss piracy, security - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: ambassador, common security, conflict, countering terrorism, defence ties, deputy assistant secretary, disaster response, footing, humanitarian assistance, military cooperation, military relations, piracy, political developments, sea lines, secretary of defense, security concerns, southeast asia, sphere, sri lankan embassy, vikram singh