US Senate approves enhanced aid bill for Pakistan worth 1.5 billion dollarsJune 17th, 2009 - 12:19 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 17 (ANI): The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee has passed the enhanced aid bill for Pakistan offering 1.5 billion dollars annually over the next five years.
The bill named the Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act, commonly known as the Kerry-Lugar bill, is primarily aimed to counter terrorism.
Addressing the Congress, the Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry highlighted on the need of assisting Pakistan in its drive to quell extremism from its soil, and rehabilitate thousands of people who have been rendered homeless due to the on going military operation in Swat and Malakand.
“This is a critical moment for Pakistan,” the Daily Times quoted Kerry, as saying.
“This bill will help the Pakistanis fighting to turn their country toward a path of moderation and stability,” he added.
The aid would come with certain benchmarks, but none of them is India centric or concerned with the issue of nuclear proliferation.
The bill will now go to the full chamber, before the Senate and the House of Representative hold a conference to arrive at a reconciled version of the act.
According to an estimate, the United States has already appropriated and disbursed a total of 3.2 billion dollars in aid to Pakistan. (ANI)
- US holding back economic aid to Pakistan - Mar 03, 2011
- Kerry calls for tight check on Pak non-military aid fearing rampant govt corruption - May 28, 2010
- Pak to receive $850 million of Kerry-Lugar aid by year end - Dec 19, 2009
- US Senate committee clears 1.5 B dollar per year aid for Pakistan - Jun 17, 2009
- Kerry hints at possibility of bill being moved in Senate 'against US aid to Pak' - Feb 16, 2011
- US mission to visit Pak to identify areas of fund utilization - Sep 26, 2009
- US multi-million dollar aid to Pak floundering: NYT - May 02, 2011
- US signs agreements to provide 920 million dollar aid to Pakistan - Oct 02, 2009
- Pak shock over "Anti-Fraud Hotline" project to monitor entire Kerry-Lugar aid - Sep 23, 2010
- Pak has not received 'a single penny' under Kerry Lugar bill so far: Qureshi - Jan 30, 2010
- US says Kerry-Lugar Bill will be approved by September - Aug 29, 2009
- US rules out changes in Kerry Lugar Bill, offers explanatory memo in lieu within 24 hrs - Oct 14, 2009
- US to renew demand for direct access to AQ Khan - Sep 26, 2010
- World must do more in respect of 'Pakistan's Katrina': Kerry - Aug 30, 2010
- White House blames 'vested interests' in Pak for creating chaos over KL Bill - Oct 14, 2009
Tags: benchmarks, billion dollars, chairman john, committee chairman, congress, critical moment, extremism, foreign relations committee, john kerry, military operation, moderation, next five years, nuclear proliferation, pakistan worth, pakistanis, senate foreign relations, senate foreign relations committee, soil, swat, us senate foreign relations committee