US says China can’t do nuclear deal with Pak sans NSG approvalJune 16th, 2010 - 5:33 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jun.16 (ANI): The United States has asked for clarifications from China over its nuclear deal with Pakistan, under which it would assisting the later to set up two new nuclear power plants.
Talking to reporters here, State Department spokesperson Philip Crowley said that Beijing must clarify that the deal has been approved by the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) before moving on with the project.
“We’ve asked China to clarify the details of its sale of additional nuclear reactors to Pakistan,” The Dawn quoted Crowley, as saying.
Reports indicate that Chinese companies would be assisting Islamabad to construct at least two new 650-megawatt reactors at Chashma in Punjab province.
“This appears to extend beyond cooperation that was grand-fathered when China was approved for membership in the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG). We believe that such cooperation would require specific exemption approved by consensus of the NSG, as was done for India,” he added.
It may be noted that the 45-member NSG, which controls the export and sale of nuclear technology worldwide, had granted a waiver for India, which has not signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), when the US signed a civil nuclear deal with it in 2008. (ANI)
- 'Peaceful' nuclear deal with Pak in line with international obligations: China - Jun 17, 2010
- US opposes China-Pakistan nuke deal - Jun 16, 2010
- Nuke deal with China strictly in accordance with IAEA rules, insists Pak - Jun 28, 2010
- Pak insists nuke deal with China 'transparent' - Jul 06, 2010
- Pak did not oppose India-US civil nuclear deal, says Zardari - Jul 12, 2010
- Worried US demands China nuclear pact details from Pak - Oct 22, 2010
- India taps NSG over China-Pakistan n-deal - Jun 20, 2010
- India in touch with NSG members on Sino-Pak nuke deal: Sources - Jun 20, 2010
- IAEA informed about new N-plant in Pakistan: China - Sep 22, 2010
- US all but gives up on stalling Sino-Pak nuclear agreement - Jul 04, 2010
- India pleased yet guarded on nuke group's stand - Jun 26, 2010
- US, China on collision course over helping Pak build nuke reactors - Jun 21, 2010
- India closely watching Pakistan-China reactor proposal - Jun 25, 2010
- India hopes NSG waiver continues unaltered - Jun 27, 2010
- India closely watching NSG meet on China-Pakistan n-deal - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,